1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it bad to leave cables in the back of your amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bwong, Jan 31, 2017.

1. I'd do it

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Wouldn't do it

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. bwong

bwong

Feb 29, 2012
    Vancouver
    So I'm finding I'm running out of room in my gig bag, I was wondering if it would be a problem if I were to store cables in the back of my amp? Anyone have experience with this? Particularly with the Portaflex series? I'm worried that it may cause a problem for the speaker should they jostle around during transportation. Any input is appreciated!

2. No shouldn't be an issue. If there are clips that press fit onto the speaker make sure it is still connected but I have done crap like that all the time growing up.

3. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    I've done a lot of that also over the years and still do. You shouldn't have any problems as long as they don't throw it around like airline luggage handlers or delivery people from FedEx, UPS and USPS.

4. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Banned

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    My Ampeg Portaflex 115HE has a velcro strap in the bottom, specifically for that task.

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes, wrap the cables up with a velcro strap. You don't want anything bouncing around that can poke a hole in the speaker.

I go a little further and have a small vinyl bag that I slip over the tied cable. You can buy the vinyl at a fabric store. Cut to size, fold, and sew or crazy glue the bottom and up one edge.

6. I too use a bag to hold my cables. Keeps them neat and tidy but more importantly keeps them under control.

7. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    It's a bad idea to leave your cables anywhere. Why? For some strange reason they have a tendency to walk :)