1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it because I’m getting old?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jay tay, Oct 28, 2013.

1. jay tay

jay tay

Aug 12, 2009
    Manchester UK
    I started of my bass playing life with a P Bass, and I hated it! At the tender age of 15/16 I couldn't stand it, it was old, and boring! All my bass playing friends had Jazz Bass’ or funky foreign bass’ with exotic wood. They could shape their tone blend between pickups, and some even had active electronics!
    As the years went by I moved to five string and fretless, where I stayed for about ten years, then I ventured into six string two pickup bass’ playing fretted and fretless.
    Over the last year or so I have found that I started soloing my neck pickup, to try and get a fuller, more wholesome tone. From about six months ago, I pulled my old P Bass off the wall, set her up and began playing her. Over the years she had been defretted, and modified in a few different ways, but I fell in love with her. I’d been overlooking her for so long, dismissing her, but I finally found that the tone I get from the P Bass with flats was more fulfilling then the magic tone that I had been searching for all of these years. I since have bought a second fretted P Bass and am bidding on a third. The six string Bass’ that I had been playing exclusively for the past five / six years, have been gathering dust. And I can’t get enough of that P Bass sound.
    Now I do miss, the freedom, of the six string bass’ and find that I sometimes feel a little restrained with just four strings. But I’m willing to sacrifice that for the sound and tone of the Precision Bass.
    I’m just wondering if anyone else has experienced this return to more established and conventional instruments as they have gotten older, is it an age thing, or just another phase!?
    Why Can’t Fender just make a Six string P bass for less than a Grand and make my life complete!!!! (Joking)

2. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Well, at least they’re (via Squier) finally making an inexpensive five-string P.

Ima gonna get one soon. :)

3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    If the necks are wide enough on those 5ers you could convert it to a 6 the way people did with the Active Jazz basses. Spacing seems fine, I just didn't care for the extra string as much as I thought I would. Maybe it's the neck profile, or the strings, or the setup. Either way it's just not fun for me to play, but a mod like this might work for you.

RZpCf89.

4. jay tay

jay tay

Aug 12, 2009
    Manchester UK
    I've got an eye on these to, I can't find any where that stocks them so that I can have a play before I pull the trigger!

5. jay tay

jay tay

Aug 12, 2009
    Manchester UK
    That's a beautiful bass, I't is an idea that I may consider, Though I'm used to quite wide string spacing, (18mm on my sixers), I'm tempted to sell my car, and call my local luthier, but modding a squire will be much easier to explain to the wife!

6. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    I get what you're saying. I went a different way and ordered a Super P5 as I wanted the Dingwall build quality with some of that P mojo.

Never trust a man without at least one Fender P bass in his tool shed. :bag:

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    If you want I'll break out the caliper and get you the measurements. Those particular Jazz basses are really wide to begin with and I don't know if the new P basses are anywhere as wide.

8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

You're not even middle aged. I think we can rule out "getting old". :)

I'm 40. A couple of years ago, I put a P bass back in the stable, but in no way has it even come close to supplanting my more modern basses. As the main writer in an original funk fusion band, I tend to be a flashy player (within my modest abilities). But when I'm playing as a sideman, I tend to be more conservative, almost to the point of a Jekyll and Hyde thing. For me, the P bass inspires, even demands, a more supportive approach. It just sounds best when it's playing roots with the kick. So I like it when I'm playing sideman.

9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    My P-Bass Is all I need but I do give my Ric equal gig time. A Sadowsky Jazz 5 string would be the ultimate addition. Those three would keep me GAS free for a long long time.

10. "Is it because I'm getting old?"

I haven't even read your post, and I can tell you that the answer is: yes. :atoz:

11. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Another 30 years and you'll be getting old.

12. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Yep another 50 and you'll be getting old.
    I think it's a phase. You hear and feel a certain instrument being a natural extension of you. This can change multiple times.

13. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Same here, in my Teens HATED the P Bass and Fender style in General, went throught a 5/6 string Phase and played Warwicks for most of my 20's, as i started to approach my 30's i found a Jonesing for Fender style Bases, after going through several Vintage Fender, Pensa/Sadowsky and the like, im playing a Custom Fender Style Marco P/J Bass and i spend 95% of the time on the P Bass pick up, it just has that tone. I think as you get older you realize that while a PBass may not sound as good on it own it always sits right in the mix of a band. Fender style is comfortable and Familiar, i prefer 21 frets and now when i play a 24 or 26 fret it jusdt does not feel comfortable.

14. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I prefer the term "maturing."

15. Ed P

Ed P

Aug 4, 2007
    I love the idea of turning a 5-string into a six. Lots of food for thought!

16. Same here. Started on a P, then bought a P fretless, sold that and bought a Jazz fretless, Then bought a Godin A4 fretless, then a custom cliff bordwell bass. Finally after 36 years of playing I bought a pre-CBS P. Now I'm in heaven with the P-bass and the Cliff Bordwell. Funny how you go full circle.

Davo

17. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    When the demand for 6 string P's becomes high enough someone will market them for sure. You are just changing. Now it seems you are preferring more of a warm round, fuller bottom with no muss, no fuss. A P-Bass does that well. As far as getting older goes don't sweat it. It's not a big deal and it's not a curse. There are many of us out there well out of our 20's who are still doing the music thing. To tell you honestly I wouldn't want to go back and really like how 'old' I am now. I'm 57 and diggin it.

18. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I started with a '66J, it was/is okay. During a bad divorce I had to buy a friends 70s vintage P which unknown to me, became the tone in my head. I sold the 10+ lb P when I got my Jazz back and promptly went on a 30+ bass buying spree of multiple PUP basses until I had a CS NOS '59 P built and realized that was the tone I had been looking for all along. I have since bonded with a P5 which is my Holy Grail bass. I think I got older AND smarter.

19. Totally get what the OP is saying. For the first 35 or so years of gigging, it was all about a massively full range, super articulate tone. Part of that (especially early on) had to do with the tonality of the bass on the 'hits' of the 70's and 80's. Today, through a combination of 'maturing' (i.e., being more interested in putting a supportive thing under the bands I work with) and also the massive change in what a bass needs to sound like in current pop music (amazing how the P bass has come back around in virtually all the pop music I perform at this point), I am, for the first time in my 40+ year gigging career, ALL about the P (a high end, 5 string P, but a passive P nonetheless).:D

bass nitro likes this.
  20. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I think maybe age and going thru a phase may be it.
    I have 2 boutique basses that I really enjoy but when I hit the local bar scene
    my budget bass gets the job done with just Vol,Pan,Tone.
    I'm thinking of getting a P/J bass and selling off the rest.