1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

is it better to be normal these days?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Asa Samuel, Aug 14, 2007.

1. ok, before it was great to be different, people like (for some examples) jaco pastorius was amazing with his customised fretless jazz and john entwistle was just dazzling with his new concept of playing the bass.

these days however it seems all the people getting big are playing p's or j's and are sticking to playing the root note.

i know there are lots of people on tb who play amazing basslines but i mean people who are big, like really well known.

so is it better to be normal and follow the trend these days or do people on here thing that it will soon swap round to being crative in a few years or so?

any thoughts people?

Thanks.
    Bass_Junkie.

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I think...the more the boundries are pushed and the more people there are pushing them, the more people begin to appreciate "old school" playing.

The new school is amazing but beyond a point it evolves into a different instrument. That's not a bad thing but, it is different.

There's room at both ends of the spectrum for whatever you want to do but, if you want to be a fast gun
    I don't care who you are, you have to accept the fact that somewhere, locked in his bedroom is a guy that can eat your lunch. And he's probably 14 years old. Seen youtube lately?

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    There have always been folks playing basic fundamental bass, and there always will be. The history of bassists has only been punctuated by the presence of major innovators (the Jacos and Jamersons). It might be selective memory kicking in when we think of certain eras of bassists being ahead of their time. Many of those bassists became more highly regarded posthumously than during their creative peaks, so we just might be oblivious to living in an era of major innovators.

As far as bassists playing in an "old-school" manner-

Reviving the past in a new light is a way of finding something new. Ever hear of the Renaissance? By looking to the past, we can borrow from what has passed the test of time.

4. define normal: in this case I think that definition is flawed, where it seems like Jaco was an exception...today when I listen to a lot of jazz bass players, they all sound like they are trying to pull a WWJD: What would Jaco Do? and when it seems like the majority of bass players consider that the norm, than maybe root notes are the exception?

5. ... Being 'normal' is what 'pays' these days. The "age of idiots" breaking apart instruments/gear and having 8,000 watts of stage amplification, being generally out of control and over the top are long gone. "simple and elegant" is the way to go.. 'showboats' are less in demand than before IMHO.

Giant music venues will probably never be that popular again, due mainly to the constant threat of terrorists bombing in crowded situations like that.

6. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    Do what you want. Find out what you want to achieve and strive to be that. If you want to be known as an over-the-top, experimental bassist then do it. If you want to be known for holding a solid groove, do it. The bass is an artists tool, much like a paintbrush or typewriter, used to express oneself. Nothing is "better," merely different.

7. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    "normal" is covered.

By 1000's of players.

work on un-covering your own voice.

What do YOU have to say musically?

Find out.

F' everything else.

:cool:

8. "be normal and the crowd WILL accept you, but if you're deranged and the crowd will make you their leader" - Christopher Titus

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Do whatever you need to do to be happy.