Is it cool to announce your next gig, at a different venue?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Oci-One Kanubi, Jun 19, 2018.

1. We did our first gig with a new singer last Saturday night, at at the end he did all the good "we are...", "we had fun, hope you did", "hope you come see us again..." stuff, but then he closed with "next Saturday we'll be at...".

I kinda cringed when he did that, because I don't think it's polite. The place next Saturday is only about four miles from the place last Saturday. It seems kinda like trying to steal the current venue's customers for next week. The owner didn't say anything when she handed me our check (hopefully she didn't hear that), but I wonder if I need to give him a talkin' to?

Thoughts?

Pet Sounds likes this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

pretty goofy not to tell an assembled crowd where you'll be next. just good business.

good luck with your cringing! :thumbsup:

3. Good business for us, bad business for the venue maybe. And if the venue resents it and refuses to have us back, it's also bad business for us.

That's my dilemma. I am going to drop by and visit the owner sometime during the week -- customer relations, doncha know? -- and maybe I'll just ask her if she was offended.

4. Chango Malo

Chango Malo

Apr 8, 2017
    "we'll be at X on Y, make sure you check out this other band Z right on the stage next Saturday"

pimp your band, We like to refer folks to our web presence. We also make sure to promo upcoming bands that are coming up at the venue we're currently playing.

5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Yeah, good thing to tell the audience where you're playing next because you won't be returning to that venue. Bad form, as the Brits would say. In this era of social media, a band just needs to discreetly gather followers while shmoozing at the side of the stage after the set, assuming that people come up to talk. Then they can hear about the next gig. It used to be done with sign-up sheets and table cards, but that, if course, is a quaint old notion.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

[/quote]That's my dilemma. I am going to drop by and visit the owner sometime during the week -- customer relations, doncha know? -- and maybe I'll just ask her if she was offended.[/quote]

Maybe it will work out; in case the manager didn't quite catch on, I'd approach it as "hypothetically, like with a friend's band or something, if they mention a gig elsewhere in the future, would they be 86'd?" In all seriousness, if the original venue is featuring music totally unrelated to what you do, and an entirely different crowd coming in on the night in particular, it might be a non-issue.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  6. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    "Is it cool to announce your next gig, at a different venue?"

Yes and no. Ethically it's debatable. Not very cool to make a big production and announce it for all the world to hear.
    OK if you thank everyone for showing up and supporting the band, be sure to mention what a great venue this place is and be sure to tip your barkeep and waitresses. Sneak in a head ups where you will be playing next.
    In other words, respect the bar for hiring you and remember, some owners won't be happy to hear you promote where you are playing next if it's somewhere else than their place and you've drawn a crowd, they stand to lose money.

7. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I think it's better to mention your website/social media and say check for dates there.

elgecko, SunnBass, inazone and 45 others like this.
  8. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    If your show is rockin’ then the club will be fine. Are you talking about covers or originals?

9. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    This. After you thank the venue, promote the band, not another venue. Call attention to your website and schmooze.

10. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    That's what we do these days.

The only place we promo gigs at other venues is the county fair. Some of the stage announcers actually repeat where we are playing next during the "give a big hand to ____" outro after our set.

11. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    If you're playing geographically close enough for the the people at the current venue to attend your next show, you're going to kill your draw by playing shows that are too close together. I wouldn't want to see any "local" band two weeks in a row (unless they are friends, maybe (maybe)). If you're not playing close to that venue, what's the point of announcing it? I would cringe as well, but I cringe at everything.

MattZilla and Duder like this.
  12. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    It's always great when a band does that - opens up a slot for one of my bands there LOL.

smogg, Oci-One Kanubi and juancaminos like this.
  13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i think all of you are too sensitive. it's show business: you're expected to promote yourself. easy stuff: after you send up the present venue you get to mention where you'll be next...just the way it's done!

if you are self-conscious about it: maybe you've made the wrong 'marketing' decisions to begin with. don't you think the present venue owner can read the ads for the other venue?

good luck trying to think like pros! :thumbsup:

Ekulati and Spidey2112 like this.
  14. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    How many people at this show will want to see you again the next week?

Still, better to just promote your FB or whatever.

15. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I'm out of the cover band scene at this point but when I was doing those gigs regularly my mindset at any venue that I wanted to return to was to help make them be successful.

Mention their drink specials, talk about upcoming events etc. We're being paid to help them get more people through the door and buying drinks and food.

Plug your social media or band website and push the merch if you have it but don't disrespect the venue you're at. Unless you've got a huge following that travels to every event to see you then the venue owner is your real customer.

16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    As @Chango Malo said, promote yourself and your upcoming gig, as well as who's following you at the current one...

... all in for everyone, though.

17. pbassjbass

pbassjbass

Jun 21, 2013
    Maryland
    We have flyers listing all future dates & social media contacts, but from the stage, we limit announcements to future dates at that club, or festival or other public type dates (Not competing clubs).

climber and smogg like this.
  18. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

One more for promoting the venue you are at and mentioning all of your promo info EXCEPT where your next gig is at. Do that off stage, and that doesn't mean handing out flyers in the bar. I guess it takes all kinds as they say but you are paid to work for the venue while on stage. Why would anyone think otherwise? There may be some leeway if you are a touring band of course.

Oci-One Kanubi and BAG like this.
  19. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I guess this thread is premised on a belief that folks swap watering holes to see a particular band.

Good luck with that.

Better approach is to say "We eill be back here in x weeks on the xx. A win win for band and venue.

PlatoFunFactory, JRA, pcake and 6 others like this.
  20. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Cool to announce if you're going to be in a venue far far away, not cool if it's kin the same town. Best just to say "If you've enjoyed yourself check our website/facebook/instagram etc" for upcoming gigs. If you've got a repeat booking best to say "we'll be back here next month on the xxth"

I've been a venue manager for over 20 years and wouldn't like hearing that you're playing tomorrow night at my competitors venue.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    climber, Spacecase, dan1952 and 8 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 29, 2022