1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is It Cool To Announce Your Next Gig During a Gig?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I always feel funny announcing to the crowd to come see us at another bar when we are in an establishment. What do you all do? Would it be better to say "to see our schedule, come to our website"? That's kind vague. At the same time, I don't want to be rude to the bar owner and/or management that are working that eve. Thoughts?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Every band I've been in has announced their next gig at the end of each show, and even handed out flyers. It never seemed to bother the management or elicit any disapproval.

3. I agree with bongomania, I think it's no problem. But there was a similar thread on this topic several months ago, and I was surprised at how many TB'ers thought it was not appropriate to announce other gigs. I might agree with that if your next gig was at a different venue in the same neighborhood, i.e. a direct competitor.

I suppose if you want to be absolutely sure, you could check with the club owner/manager before you do it.

EDIT: Here's that other thread on this topic
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305490

4. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    No problems with that.

5. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    No problem at all.

If I'm playing Joe's Bar and talking up our next gig at Dave's Dive, then when we're earning our peanuts at Dave's, we'll be talking up the next job at Joe's. It all goes around.

Whew, I think that made sense...

6. justabass

justabass

Nov 7, 2006
    Nashville TN/Old Hickory TN
    Endorsing-Trace Elliot,Peavey Basses,PedalTrain,Starkey inears
    Just make sure the next venue on your calendar isn't in direct competition or you may find yourself out of a gig...Its always a good policy to ask the owner/manager.

7. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    if its the whole band yea who cares, but if a band hires you to play, and you announce your next gig with another band that might not be cool.

otherwise its pretty much standard practice

8. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    really? we don't make a habit of it.

it kinda depends on the place....laid back or no....

i don't think it matters too much at dive bars and little laid back places.....

more focused serious music clubs will have an issue..at least around here...

9. tmw

tmw Gold Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Delmar, NY
    We've always checked with management before making any announcements. Typically they've been cool about it, but we did have one place flip-out when we mentioned our next gig at another establishment. Found out later they used to be partners at a place that went belly-up. Oops! We have not been invited back.

We decided it was easier to refer people to our website and it was a lot less threatening to the management. Now if the gui**** could just remember to bring those business cards to the gigs, we'd be all set...

10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Hey man, may I ask which club that was? Seeing as how we live and gig in the same area, I don't want to make the same mistake. :D

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    We direct people to our website "If they want to know where we'll playing."

That way we're not pissing on the bar owners shoes.

12. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Well, IMO it is bad form to announce or promote gigs at other venues. No problems making announcements to "join our mailing list so we can keep you informed as to where to see us", or handing out cards with upcoming dates, but that's it.

Remember, all local music venues are in competition with each other.

Would McDonald's want you to do promo for Burger King?

13. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    +1 That is a big No-No here in Boston as well. Very unprofessional. You would loose gigs for doing that.

14. rkrysl

rkrysl

Aug 23, 2007
    Boston
    I always make a point to talk with the owner/manager about any rules they have for bands before we play. I always ask them specificly if announcing an upcoming gig at another location is fine. It's a good habit to practice, makes the owner/manager like you more, plus they will fill you in on stuff your booking agent might have "accidentaly" not remembered. Its also a good time to ask if they have any upcoming events or any drink specials they would like announced as well. Once we got to know a club well, and had played it alot every once in a while its fun to just randomly make up a drink special and announce it. And I mean make up a random drink that nobody has ever heard of, and announce that its $2.50 till midnight...people love it...and its a great way to get back at pissy bartenders. Usually the clubowner loves it because they end up making more money, and if the bartenders are smart they will water it down more than usual! ;)

15. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    There is a local club that had an "ironclad" rule that, before you played the high-paying Saturday night gig, you had to play a lower-paying Friday night when the manager would evaluate your band and then let you know.

We did out Friday night, they loved us, and scheduled us for a Saturday night...

...and then the band that played the Friday night BEFORE our Saturday night announced to the crowd that "We'll be back tomorrow night!" and the dipwad manager let 'em get away with it.

The manager called our manager and told her what happened and said, "well, I couldn't get up there and tell everybody they were wrong.":eyebrow:

So we haven't been back.

It's tragic to think how many fewer brain surgeons there are because the candidates went into venue management instead.:rollno:

16. We always refer punters to our website for details of upcoming shows.

I recall only one instance in a previous band where we ran into trouble advertising gigs.

We handed flyers out advertising a gig around 70 miles away that was on a night when the venue we were playing at was closed. No matter - The owner of the venue went mental. How dare we do that etc etc. I apologised if I had inadvertently upset him, but to no avail. My patience with him then wore thin and I ended up telling him to stick it up his ar$e in future as he paid a pittance in any case.

If you're going to do it - check first is my advice.

17. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    We as a rule do not announce or promo other club dates while on club dates. We will promo larger concerts or charity events that are not in direct competition with the venue.

We also feel it is better to promo the website and we have someone always on deck to sign people up for the email newsletter and to hand out schedules and business cards.

JKT