Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it cool to have a beat-up guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Philbiker, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Yes! Beat up guitars have character and make you look like you know something.

38 vote(s)
    54.3%
  2. No way, give me clean and perfect finish every time.... Now where was my polish and cloth?

13 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. I like to beat on carrots.

19 vote(s)
    27.1%
  1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My Seagull acoustic guitar, which I've been playing a lot of lately, is scratched like hell and has big dents and dings in it. My brother got it when he worked in a music store, and it's a NAMM guitar - somebody at NAMM beat up on it like nobody's business. It's practically hideous. But it sounds and plays just wonderful. Sometimes I think I'd like new acoustic guitar since I'm playing a lot more as of late, but then I pick it up and -wow- it sure is nice!!!!

Recently the jack broke and I asked my brother (who I bought it from) if I could borrow his new Wechter for church on Sunday since I needed to plug in. He was so paranoid about scratching his prized guitar! I said "Hey just look at my guitar to know what great care I take of my instruments". He said he'd rather look at my green bass for that......

Is it cool to have a guitar (or bass for that matter) that's beat up?

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Shop worn-cool, abused-not cool! Salvaging an abused instrument, or finding a spot in your heart for something that someone else had no respect for-really cool!

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'd love to own a beat up Tele in BSB. Of course, my other ideal guitar is the same as the one Joe Messina used on the Standing in the Shadows of Motown DVD (SPOTLESS dark red finish, rosewood neck with MOP binding and blocks, humbucker in the bridge, white guard) ;).

That said, both of my basses have their share of dings and bumps. I like this on THESE basses, but on something like a chambered holly Nordstrand SC6 with a purpleheart accent veneer, I'd slap myself at the first sign of wear.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I tihnk damage definitely adds character, as long as it doesnt affect the playability too much.

5. only cool if it sounds good

ilikecarrots :)

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Dings and scratches are awsome... if they are there due to regular use...

Doing it on purpose is lame, and not cool at all... nor does it add character.

All dings, scratches, dents, etc... should have stories behind them.

7. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I have an old beat-up 60s Kay electric guitar that I wouldn't trade for thre world. It plays nice and sounds very bluesy. I've thought about changing the pickup just because it buzzes, and changing the tuners because one or two of them are bent and one of them never holds the tuning, but I wouldn't erase the dings and worn finish on the back of the neck. I love the guitar. It'll be modded before it'll be replaced.

As far as basses go, I've never had a beat-up bass, and always do my best to take care of the ones I've had. I keep them in cases, baby them on stage, and wipe them down after playing. But that's just because they're in that condition already.

I wouldn't rule out buying one in rought shape, and I wouldn't be real mad if I had dings in my basses, but I try to keep them as nice as I can. If I get a bass with 50 dings in it and 50% of the paint worn off, I'll do my best to make sure when I'm done with it it has 50 dings and 50% of its paint. It's just the thought of leaving something in the shape you found it in. If the guitar was already beat-up before you got it, no sweat man.

8. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Words of truth.

I dunno I am always paranoid about putting a scratch in my "prized new bass" until I smack it on something. Then it's like my other ones. I just use it :).

I mean, it is an instrument, that's meant to be played. * With exception of Ritter's.. They are Art that just happens to be abled to be played. *

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I try to keep them clean until I realized what James Jamerson said is true. The dirt keeps the funk in... lol. Keeps the smell in too :)

I cry when they get their first scratch, first ding or chip, but then I realize it's a tool and its okay if it shows wear. But the wear needs to be from love, not hate.

10. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    for me it kind of depends. i have a couple of basses that are designated "beaters" and i really dont care what happens to them, but i dont intentionally damage them. my carvin has been my main bass for over 8 years and the only "damage" it has is a worn spot above the neck pickup where i rest my thumb.

when i purchase a bass, i guess i subconsciously decide if it is going to be a beater or not. then that dictates how i let it get treated.

i hope to play my carvin until all of the finish is worn off and the neck has changed shape to fit me.

11. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Yes it is, very cool... :rolleyes:

12. Sonic Youth, anyone?

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If I buy a bass brand new, I try to keep it looking that way as much as possible. If I buy it used, I just try to keep the status quo.

I don't care at all for ridiculously beat up finishes, especially on vintage basses that cost an arm and a leg...I'd rather have a good looking refinish than a totally beat original finish.

14. [​IMG]

Yet another thread I can throw a Lightning Bolt pic into.

15. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    Couldn't have said it better.

16. I prefer to keep my basses as near mint condition as possible, but I'm just odd that way............

However, I don't turn my nose up at a brilliant bass with a couple of dings - I just don't have any at the moment. I do have an 80's Tokai Str*t, with a chunk out of it somewhere and a 1974 Gibson SGII which looks like a flamethrower has been applied to the back (belt buckle rash, when Iwas young and stupid) :bassist:

17. Cool is having no strings on ya bass and smashin it with a banana. God, you guys are sooooo last week. :rolleyes:
    :D
    P.S.- try it, you will be 'cool' then. ;)

18. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    only if it's beat up because YOU played it for many years and it got to that state in its own good time

not cool if you bought a pre-beaten up one, or if you deliberately accelerated the process so it would look cool :)

19. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    How do you beat off a Carrot?

Well, This is unrelated but I call my bass "Bi*ch" 'cuz I love to slap my Bi*ches

20. I won't turn down an instrument with honest wear on it, providing it's not structural- unless it's WELL repaired.

I hate the "aged" or "reliced" guitars, attempting to buy cool. But I realize- to each their own. One thing that is cool about them is the dried finish on them.

I don't get too bent out of shape about dings on my instruments. I baby my Thunderbird more than any of my current instruments- just because it's older, more fragile and stock and valuable in the long run. For the most part, all of my guitars and basses are well worn. My Telecaster looks like crap because I decided to finish it with a can of Krylon. My LP Special is beat because it's been my main guitar for the past 15 years. My Jazz was beat when I got it and has a junior high furniture refinish on it. My G&L is beat because I play it a lot- everywhere. The same goes with the rest of my guitars, basses and amps- I use them, they get worn, not abused.

I actually agree with Mike Money- each ding should have a story.