Is it crazy to trade a GK mb112 ii for a TC BG250 for the toneprint

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Josh Willner, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Josh Willner

Josh Willner Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Portland, OR
    Hi All,

I'm mostly a living room player jam with a couple buddies when I get a chance.

I recently moved from an acoustic b100 to a GK mb112ii. I love the sound and portability but now am looking into some effects. A compressor and reverb mostly and was thinking of moving to a TC with toneprint.

Anyone make this exact move? Thoughts on the toneprint effects?

2. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    They suck and few are usable. Toneprint is not much more than a gimmick. I used almost all of them with my bh250 and it was hard to find one that I wanted to stick with except for the compression.

The MB also sounds miles better than any TC . Plus, you can add another 12 to your stack and you can play almost any venue with that. You would be sorry if you traded your MB.

You're better to build a pedalboard like a real bass player. You can get tons of used pedals for like 10 or 20 bucks on Guitar Center if you are that eager to build it out. Plus if you wanted to run more than one effect with the TC you would have to buy the pedal and that's another 50 bucks to run 2 more "effects".

3. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    I have the BG250-115. I think the toneprint effects are good enough for those who don't rely of effects but occasionally need a compressor, or a little dirt, chorus, etc. I would first try the BG250 without effects and see if you like the TC sound, and are OK with how the EQ works, as it has two different frequencies for cut/boost at each band. For example, leaving the dial at noon, the bass cuts at 80hz and boosts at 100hz.

I personally think the BG250 is a great bang for the buck practice amp that can also be used in small gigs with no problems. The toneprints are just icing on the cake. Sure there are better amps out there, but they cost much more and still have their faults as well. As always, going for perfection in an imperfect world gets very expensive.