is it dead?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lilbassgirl, Dec 30, 2003.

1. my bass keeps making a funky rattling like noise, even when i dont use the amp. its a general p bass, but i cant figure out what the heck is wrong with it. i would rather not have to pay and take it in to get fixed if i might need to just buy a new one. has anyone else had any problems like this? help please!

buh bye!:p
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    check everything to make sure it is tight... strap knobs, tuning keys, bridge, etc...
  3. Where is the sound coming from? I've heard a rattling sound on a couple of fenders, and it seems to come from the tuning machines. I'd say check and make sure that all the screws and nuts are tight.
  4. if the rattling is caused by string vibrations it is probably a tuning machine, bridge saddle, or nut problem.
  5. Or if you have straplocks it could be them if you hear it when only sitting down because the tension wouldnt be there to keep them from rattling as opposed to standing where they wouldnt
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  7. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Word. When I first got my Straploks, it happened to me and I didn't think of that for a few weeks... that could be it.
  8. it was the straplocks, thanx guys. i wont be seein ya anymore, much love to ya'll. buh bye!:p
  9. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
  10. FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    I have a Fender Jazz Bass and I have also that kinda problem.. My D string makes a buzzing sound. I know it comes frome the bridge.. So what can I do about it...? :confused:
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Keep the springs from rattling with e.g. some shrink hose.
  12. FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Found the reason... The spring was loose as you guessed SMASH.. Thanks for the tip :) Problem solved.
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Question on the straplocks, since i just got some.

If they are making noise, what do you do to make it go away. Identifying the noise is only half of it. Do you just tighten them or something?