Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it difficult to outfit an MTD Kingston 5 with an active EQ? - Or, My bass dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Dec 31, 2002.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I'd really, really like a decent 5-string. Unfortunately, I'm a lefty, and my budget's rather tight. After browsing through this forum for a while, I've come to the conclusion that an MTD Kingston 5 (the do make 5-string lefties, right?) would probably be the way to go. I really dig its looks and its simplicity. Also, I haven't heard a single bad thing about MTDs so far, whereas every 'potential new bass purchase' I've looked at until now appeared to have some flaws when it came to electronics or hardware.

For the "If you think you like a particular bass, go to your favourite guitar store and try it first" crew: I wish I could, but reality tells me I can't. Where I live, guitar stores seldom have decent (by decent I mean "non-beginner basses") lefty basses in stock, let alone five-string lefties.

The guitar store I regularly go to sells a white Japan J bass, which is more or less the store shelf warmer. Unfortunately, it's not exactly what I want/need.

I bought my first bass (An Epiphone P bass copy with PJ pickups, all-black, without a pickguard, kind of like an Accu bass, but I forgot what it was called exactly) because I saw it in a catalogue and I thought it looked cool. Too bad it was a POS with a rubber neck and a plywood body. I guess it was alright sound-wise, but the electronics simply weren't loud enough for me to compete with the other instruments, particularly when I was forced to plug directly into the PA.

I bought my next bass, an Ibanez ATK 300, based on reviews. Definitely a better purchase. Gotta love the electronics and the punchy, bright, versatile tone. Unfortunately, I simply hate the way it looks (that oversized bridge thing, yuk!) and the overly fat neck annoys me sometimes.

Okay, here we go again: do you think I can solve my bass dilemma by getting a lefty Kingston 5 and outfitting it with active electronics? Could you recommend me any preamps that are decent (a 3 band EQ would be nice) and easy to install?

As for the music that I play: my new band uses Kornish guitar riffs, but I'm always game for some funk, some reggae, blues, a jazzy tune or two and the occasional samba jam, and the ATK was/is just right for that.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How about an outboard pre-amp - like the Sadowsky?

No difficulty at all!!

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Actually, I think I'd be happier with an onboard preamp. It happens quite often that I realise in the middle of a song that I need more mids, lows, etc.
    Thanks for the suggestion, though.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Well, the Sadowsky fits on your belt and it is very easy to adjust mid-song.

Also with an outboard pre-amp, you can use it on several basses not just fit it permanently to one - so if you change or buy nw basses you can still use it.

Whereas fitting an on board pre-amp can cause problems and will almost certainly reduce the re-sale value.

Outboard is a much better bet all round for the situation you describe.

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Gosh darn, I had forgotten about the belt thing, thanks! Now all I need to do is start wearing belts. :D

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Hmm, but it is rather pricey, isn't it? But then again, I don't think there are any alternatives. Lemme think about it.

7. Bruce Lindfield

I got mine used at a local shop - there's nothing to go wrong with them - no moving parts - you might find one at a good price?

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I just bought a Dunlop MXR M-80 Direct box/pre-amp, and I love what it does to my sound on my fretted bass. And bruce is right it will follow you around to all of the bass you have or will have in the future. I was going to get the sansamp, but I went for the one with the mid range EQ. Only the dunlop and the fishman have that, plus the dunlop has a noise gate, which is nice. I posted a full report over in the "effects" forum for those who ever wander over there.

9. I believe Aguillar offers an onboard preamp (OBP-1, I think) that will fit nicely in the Kingston's cavity.