Is it difficult to swap necks?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by misterCRUSH, Jun 18, 2021.

1. misterCRUSH

misterCRUSH It's all jazz...it's ALL jazz...

Dec 27, 2015
    Arkansas
    I'm just wondering about some of the technical aspects. I'm thinking swap, setup, and go right? There has to be more to it than that.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Not really. There are cases when the new neck might need a shim, could possibly be too big or small for the neck pocket, or may have other issues. But, in my experience, those are uncommon. Swap, setup, and go is usually how it works for me.

misterCRUSH likes this.
  3. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    If the heel of the new neck is identical to the one of the old neck and the mounting screw holes also align it will be piece of cake.

I recently swapped the neck of my old Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Bass to the body of my GSRM20B Mikro Bass, and even though Ibanez changed the location of the mounting holes slightly from 2010 to 2017, where the two basses respctively was produced, it was just a matter of filling up the old holes in the neck pocket with wood glue and filling them out with tooth sticks and then drill some new pilot holes with a drill with a slightly smaller diameter than the neck screws and then screw it on, in fact the heel from the neck of the old bass actually fitted even tighter into the neck pocket of the new body.

Just make sure that the neck pocket sits where it should tight in the neck pocket and pressed against it before you screw it on the body.

If the neck heel doesn't fit the neck pocket then it gets slightly more complicated, and you need to either sand off some of the heel or add shims, depending.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    misterCRUSH likes this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

not really, but of course: the devil is in the details!

IME: swapping fender/FSO necks is pretty easy because they all fit the fender-style neck pockets the same (usually). a fender-style neck on a different body/brand (or vice versa) could give you pause.

i'm hoping that you're putting a fretless neck on your PJ body = best case! :laugh: good luck with your "neck swap!" :thumbsup:

fhm555 and misterCRUSH like this.
  5. misterCRUSH

misterCRUSH It's all jazz...it's ALL jazz...

Dec 27, 2015
    Arkansas
    I'm actually swapping a lined fretless for an unlined fretless on my MIM jazz. All my other basses are unlined, and the dots being in the wrong place is messing me up. Sounds like a small issue, but I keep messing up recordings with it.

UncleRick, JRA and Lownote38 like this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

got it! ;)

it's not a small issue --- those side dots need to be in the right place!

but i'm glad you're getting the neck you want/need for your fretless! :thumbsup:

misterCRUSH likes this.
  7. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    unless there's actual wood working to be done or other 'things', it just requires some critical thinking, some research, and measurement skills. generally not too hard for like instruments and scales.

usually trouble happens when folks try to graft weird combinations of scale length and or neck pocket geometries where things get out of hand. like putting a 34'' scale neck on to a 28.6" scale body and having to try to shuffle all of the components around to try to make it 'work'.

your project sounds easy initially. do double check your existing neck tenon and body pocket dimensions before committing.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    misterCRUSH likes this.
  8. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    In your case with Fender Jazz to Fender Jazz it is pretty simple. The more you mix things up, the more problems can happen.

misterCRUSH likes this.
  9. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I meant of course:

"...Just make sure that the neck heel sits..."

But you probably figured that out.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021