Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it easy to change pickups??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nathan, Oct 21, 2004.

1. nathan

nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    Is it easy to change pickups? Say i bought a Flea bass and wanted to get a Lane Poor pickup for it. I know they dont make LP's anymore, but say i allready had one. Is changing the pickups something I could do by myslef

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Me? Personally???

I'd pay to have a good tech I trust doing it.

Not only does the pup, relative to the position on the bass have a huge impact, but a fine tech will tell you if the position of the pups makes sense.

Consider - When he was employed at MusicMan, Leo Fender had a test body with a jillion body screws so he could find where the best position was for sound.

Finding the "sweet spot" isn't by chance.

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    So long as you're somewhat handy with a soldering gun and can tell the differences between wires you can. I've done it a few times to passive J's and it's been easy, but that was without an active pre like a Flea bass has. But I should think it would be fairly reasonably to expect you to be able to do this.

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    As Ralphdaddy said, the actualy "mechanics" aren't that difficult if you have a basic understanding of bass electronics and if you have the proper tools. However, if the bass in question is near and dear to your hear and you have little or no experience with solder guns, dis/reassembling bass electronics, etc, then it might be worth your while to have a qualified and experienced tech do it for you. Just keep in mind that if your Flea bass is a 5-string, it actually has a 4-string sized pickup in it. If it's a 4-string, you should be OK with any standard sized MM-style pickup. Either way, good luck with your decision. ;)

5. Hey, glad this was at the top. I was going to switch out some passive J's for some bart passives but I dont have ANY time due to school (although the combo is from school). The prob is that they charge $40CND/pickup +$30 setup mandatory at steve's here. Anyone have another suggestion (i dont know any mechanics...or bassists who could do it).

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Send it to me. I'll do it. Seriously though, the best thing you could do for yourself is go to the electronic store, get some rosin-core solder, a 15-25 watt soldering iron, and a small project kit that you can build a transistor radio from or something. Read about soldering technique, then do it. When you get done with the project, take it to someone who knows electronics and soldering and have them critique your work. Identify cold-solder joints, learn how to correct them, how to use a heat-sink, and then go for it. Best education you can give yourself. Comes in handy in the middle of a set when the guitarist steps on your cord and breaks your input jack...