1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is It Enough? (Newbie on Pedalboard)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tyohars, Jun 13, 2018.

1. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Jakarta, ID
    As I state here before, I'm new to pedalboard. I used to plug and play guy. So, after trying some and reading some advice, I'm planning to build pedaboard and thinking this will satisfy me. But, I would love to hear some advice or insight. I'm open to advice, if I need to add more (but, please give me reason why I need that pedal) or if I actually don't need some on this list.

Tuner (I'm planning to get TC Electronics Polytune 2 or Planet Wave Pedal Tuner)

Compressor (planning to buy MXR M76 Studio Compressor)

Boost (I'm planning to buy MXR Micro Amp)

OD (already have DOD 250)

I'm going to build the pedal in this order: amp -> tuner -> compressor -> boost -> OD. Is it right order?

Is it good enough, too much, or I need to add something on my wish list? Actually I hesitate to add booster. Or, is it really better option from budget view?

Correlli likes this.
  2. Rumbledore

Rumbledore Banned SUSPENDED

Jun 2, 2018
    peninsula
    amp at the end, not the beginning. speaking of that, what amp are you using?

superheavyfunk likes this.
  3. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Jakarta, ID
    So, bass to amp? Not vice versa? I used whatever the venue give me. I only have room amp because the main transportation here is motorcycle

4. Rumbledore

Rumbledore Banned SUSPENDED

Jun 2, 2018
    peninsula
    Amp at the end of your signal chain, although in an electrical technical way you're right to say amp first, but I'm only talking about the order you wrote it

5. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Jakarta, ID
    So, bass -> tuner -> compressor -> od -> amp? Is the boost necessary? And, is it the order is right?

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You really owe it to yourself to have one completely superfluous pedal that can really squonk and blurb. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.

7. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Jakarta, ID
    Do I really need the boost for solo/slap? I really new on this. But I heard many slap oriented bassist use boost.

8. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The order is fine. There’s no hard and fast order that’ll suit everybody. Usually a tuner is first, then comes drive and distortion followed by modulation devices, with a compressor coming at the end. But that’s only one way of doing it. And not necessarily the best way.

For your chain I (speaking solely for myself) would do:

bass>tuner>compressor>amp.

I’d leave out the boost because your compressor has boost built into it. Most compressors can double very nicely as a clean boost pedal. Just set the ratio to 1:1 and adjust the output gain knob for the amount of boost you want.

If you want to use your OD for drive tones rather than just a clean boost then I’d put it immediately after the tuner.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    For slap? Nah, really if you're looking for something slap-specific, it's compression. You'll have to be more specific about boost for solo. Just more volume? More gain? Some kind of OD/Distortion etc?

10. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    You need the boost if you hear it making a positive difference in your sound or serving a purpose such a few extra db for solos.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  11. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Jakarta, ID
    This is very helpful, so tuner -> OD -> compressor?

Okay, thanks for the input. So, tuner, compressor, OD is enough?

12. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    If it gives you everything you need.

13. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Jakarta, ID
    I think, that's all I need, at least for now. Who would now? I mean, I never think I'll try pedal few years ago

14. Si-bob

Si-bob

Jun 30, 2001
    Hemel Hempstead, UK
    Focusrite / Novation
    Hang on a second.....why exactly are you adding fx/pedals, because it sounds a little like you're not sure why?!

Essentially, a pedal should look to solve a temporary problem that you have, for example you might have one song in your set that needs overdrive, you have a problem without adding the appropriate pedal.

In my opinion, they shouldn't really be added without any reason.
    So what exactly are you looking to solve in your band/ music-making with your pedalboard? This will probably inform your pedal choice better.

Si

15. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Future acquisitions you may want to consider are an octave pedal, fuzz, modulation (chorus, flanger or phaser) and an envelope filter.

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Whenever you’re doing something new with bass, go slow and start with just a few new things or changes. You really won’t know what you want or need until you start using it. I’ve yet to see a pedalboard that didn’t change from its original configuration. It’s always a learning experience. And you’ve made a start.

Luck! :thumbsup:

17. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Look into a Boss LS-2. It's will allow you to blend a clean signal and an effect signal. The nice thing about that is you can use any pedals regardless of if they're designed for bass or guitar. If I had to do my set-up all over again, I would have one for sure.

18. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Jakarta, ID
    I know what to di with almost of my list, I just not sure with the boost. After all, I just starting my journey on pedal. After some insight, I decide that 3 pedals is all I need for now

Do I really need fuzz when I already have OD? Yep, some of them on my list, but for now I just need those 3

Thanks! I think, these 3 pedals is all I need right now. Oh, do I really need good tuner like polytune or cheap planet wave tuner just fine?

Thanks! I'll try to find one and tried it

19. Si-bob

Si-bob

Jun 30, 2001
    Hemel Hempstead, UK
    Focusrite / Novation
    But that's my point, it sounds like you might only need two pedals, as you don't seem to know what you'd need a boost for?!

Again, that's assuming you genuinely have a need for the other two past 'I think I should use a pedalboard....what are some popular pedals'.....you see my point?

You said that you used to be a plug and play bass to amp kinda guy.....what changed? What was missing from your sound to make you want a pedalboard?

Si

20. Shpigel

Shpigel

Sep 19, 2016
    I think this is the best order: guitar -> compressor -> tuner -> boost -> OD -> amp.
    Also I think these pedals are more than enough but you can always add more pedals to decorate your sound :bassist:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Karlson541 likes this.