1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is It Enough? (Newbie on Pedalboard)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tyohars, Jun 13, 2018.

1. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The Polytune is a perfectly fine tuner. You can get one pretty inexpensively if you shop used on the classifieds here.

I like strobe tuners better (just a personal thing with me) so I use a Sonic Research ST-300. It has a few extra bells & whistles type features that I actually found very useful too since I play other instruments besides bass. The ST-300 is also very easy to read - which is important if you’re one of those “old guys” like I am. It’s about $30 more than a Polytune 3 unless you find one on sale like I did. With a coupon mine set me back $85. Normally they go for about $130.

More expensive tuners will exhibit less bounce and let you tune quicker in some cases. They also tend to be easier to read. Don’t know anything about Planet Waves tuners since I’ve never used one. But any tuner made by a name you recognize is better than no tuner. So get something either way. You can always go for something fancier later on down the road.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    DrewinHouston and Moody Tuner like this.
  2. WardEarth

WardEarth Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    Didn't you say you wanted a wah:

I love the g lab. Its built to last, no pots, all optical switches.

And personally, i don't think a pedal tuner is necessary at all. Best thing to do would be to go to a store where you can try a bunch of pedals, you might find something really cool and narrow down what you like.

Some of these aguilar pedals seem pretty cool:

3. KillerEddie

KillerEddie

Aug 10, 2016
    Georgia
    I’ve heard some argue compressors should be at the end of the chain. It definitely makes for a different sound. You should try it anyway. Also add. a Korg Miku pedal. You know, for fun

BurningSkies likes this.
  4. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    + 1 Miku

5. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Skip the boost. Get an envelope filter. Got to have some fun.

6. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I like the compressor at the end myself but I used one at the beginning too for quite awhile. There are no rules, just guidelines.

7. fauxtoe

fauxtoe Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    My current board is, in order:

1.Turbo Tuner
    2. Keeley Bassist Compressor
    3. SansAmp BDDI (in drive only mode, but I could also use it for additional tone shaping)
    4. MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe
    5. Mesa Subway DI (strictly used for FOH and IEM)

I have some other pedals, but I don’t think there is much more I need. It all fits on a small VooDoo Labs Dingbat board.

For you, I don’t think the boost pedal is necessary. Spend the savings on a good compressor.

8. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Yep that is right, put the boost in the chain at the end just before the amp if necessary...

9. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    I would also recommend the MXR M87 bass compressor, but I'm with you with the Keeley Bassist.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    See, I came in here to say that my very sane and sound suggestion that everyone should have one pedal that makes noises that are simply not tenable.

But you. YOU HAVE RESTORED MY FAITH. I second that the Miku would be a great choice (hell, I want one of my own). It's on the more techy-pedobear side of squonky but in a totally legit and positive way.

11. brett adams

brett adams Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2015
    PORTLAND, OREGON
    i'd suggest getting at least one pedal of this bunch that isn't "true bypass". the extra feet of cable for these pedals can lead to loss of high end and volume drop without a buffer somewhere in the mix.
    otherwise, bass -> tuner -> compressor -> boost -> overdrive -> amp

12. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Booster -> OD -> Preamp will give you a triple boost situation.

13. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Jakarta, ID
    Yeah, I used to plug and play kinda guy, but then I'm interested with OD, so I bought it. Then, I tried compressor and love it so planning to buy it. And the tuner, I think it'll help me more than clip on tuner. So, yeah, it's set for now that's the only three are enough for me now

Si-bob likes this.
  14. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    A word on compressors:
    First of all, a compressor easily is the most expensive pedal on your board. These units often use a lot of makeup gain so they need to have VERY little floor noise, which results in high quality components and a higher price.

A comp and an OD can be used in both directions.
    If you place the OD in front of the comp, and the OD is touch sensitive, then you will get more gain when you dig in harder, and the comp will even out the signal.
    If you place the comp in front of the OD, you will hit it with a more even signal.

But, to be honest, it sounds like you are doing the same thing I did a couple of years back. I needed two different overdrive sounds and decided to rig a pedalboard.
    I had the two OD pedals and bought a tuner, so much was easy. But I also bougt a comp, because that is a basic effect and everyone should have one, at least that's what I thought.
    It took me a while to figure out that I'm not that much of a comp guy.

I strongly second BurningSkies opinion that you should have at least one pedal for fun.
    I'd say rather something useful than a Miku. A Dirty Robot for example.

15. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I love Boosts - get a boost.

16. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I would put the clean boost last before the amp if you want to boost volume of the OD without increasing the gain.

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Matryoshka, Mantic Flex Pro, a really crazy envelope, POG, etc.

el murdoque likes this.
  18. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    PolyTune for your tuner. I’m sure others have had good luck with the planet waves. I have not.

19. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    The boost could also be used in front of the OD to kick it into more saturation, then compressor to tame the onslaught. Using a slower attack on the compressor can create a kick drum effect, a slamming bass sound when more signal is coming through. I still tout the TC Spark Booster, outstanding eq, drive or not. Actually the only drive that gets as subtle as you may want, slight dirt for color.
    hmmm people are mentioning freekin Miku stomp here and I bet that would work great in the sustaining loop of the Superego, after the EQ Arapnoid...I also use an EH C9 there for an ocean of organ.

20. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Exactly. Looks like the order I would start with. But experiment. See what sounds best to you. Once you start using your board more you’ll get used to how it sounds. Then you can mess with pedal order. Like your comp may sound better towards the end. It just depends ya know.

So far it looks great! How are you liking the 250??? I remember you asking around about drive in a thread. Is it treating you well enough? I know I really like the 250 circuit myself. I have 3 different versions. Def try your boost before and after the 250. It will act different depending on where you put it. I know for me, overall, I need some kind of modulation as well. Like a flanger or phaser. Food for thought.

There is no rules here. You can go as big or as small as you want to. I’ve always said effects use, or non-use, depends on the band you’re in/the music you choose to play. If you’re in a blues band, you could get away with just an OD and a comp or maybe even nothing. But if you’re in an alternative or hard rock group that likes to keep it open, the skies the limit. Don’t force yourself into anything with effects. And don’t be afraid to use them or to keep it clean. It’s all up to you. There is a wealth of knowledge here on TB with plenty of good dudes to share their opinion and experience with you. But don’t be afraid to be your own bassist and experiment. It’s all about keeping it fun and inspirational. Effects inspire me, they help write and keep it fresh.