1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is It Enough? (Newbie on Pedalboard)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tyohars, Jun 13, 2018.

1. noveltea93

noveltea93

Feb 5, 2018
    If you're new to pedals and not sure what you want I'd take a good look at something like the Zoom MS60B. It might have all your needs in one little box, or give you a bunch of different effects to experiment with and decide what you like/need. It's also small enough to be incorporated into a larger board later (which is what I did. I now run compressor > fuzz > zoom ms60b > vt bass di)

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Is It Enough?
    Wrong question(Imho).
    'Is it what you need?',is what I would be asking.
    I think that having an OD, Fuzz, filter and octave should enable you to do most things.
    I'd use a clip on tuner rather than putting one on the board.
    But...most jobs and other gigs have me there without any pedals or maybe one or two.
    Still nice to have one though.
    I keep hearing 'get a Lehle clean boost' . So I might.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  3. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston I'm the one on the right Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    Faster and better. I have a PolyTune too, but I LOVE Turbo Tuners. Regular sized and mini. I think I have 4?

4. Philly Watts

Philly Watts

May 6, 2016
    That's a great choice in compression! I think you'll be very happy with it.

As far as the tuner, I would take a look at the Korg Pitch Black (unless you already bought the Polytune). I've tried Boss, TC, as well as a few others and the Korg is the best and most accurate in my opinion.

As far as boost, I'd try it out right before your amp and see if it is useful.

My suggested signal chain to try: Bass-Tuner-Overdrive-Comp-Boost(if needed)-Amp.

Good luck! Remember that what sounds best is what will work so play around.

5. Philly Watts

Philly Watts

May 6, 2016
    Both are great compressors. FYI the MXR Studio Compressor and the MXR Bass Compressor are exactly the same circuit with a different paint job and knobs.

6. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston I'm the one on the right Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    You'll also have to put some thought into a pedalboard, isolated power supply, and cables. I suggest starting with an appropriately sized PedalTrain (turnkey and super easy to set up and tweak), some kind of power supply mounted underneath (I love Cioks) and right-angled cables (I love EBS, lots of folks will make their own so that they can cut them to length, but for your first pass, it might be easier to buy readymade.)

7. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Add an EQ pedal. That gives more versatility to your sound than anything else.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The Polytune is solid. I have a v.1 that I've used since it came out. If you're in need of a decent buffer, the newest one has that. I personally put mine at the end of the effects chain...but my compressor (Cali76CB) has a good 'always on' buffer anyway, also if you're using an active bass that might be a moot point.

Wfrance3 likes this.
  9. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    If you start with "what am I trying to accomplish with pedals" instead of "what pedals should I buy" you'll save a ton of time and money. If you know what sound you are looking for, you'll generally know which pedals to add. If you don't know what you are trying to accomplish, I don't know why you would add any pedals at all. Just buy a bunch and twist knobs until something sounds good??

AndyLES likes this.
  10. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I should get a commission from Zoom b/c I suggest this all the time; get an MS60B. It has a stupid qty of models in it that are perfect for learning what you want out of your pedal board.

If you decide down the road that you want a better version of the Zoom model inside the ms60b, then go get it. You will be miles and dollars ahead.

[EDIT]
    I have a Zoom, which has a good tuner in it, but also have a polytune. Theres just something about having an independent tuner...

DrummerwStrings and lfmn16 like this.
  11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Excellent idea.

Buying a bunch of pedals because a stranger/strangers on the internet like them - bad idea.

Wfrance3 likes this.
  12. fauxtoe

fauxtoe Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    The most solid advice in this thread.

lfmn16 likes this.
  13. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    Do you have a good amp and cab? I'd spend the money on that before anything except a good tuner.

I use the Turbo Tuner and love it, fwiw.

14. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Jakarta, ID
    Thank you, I'll try both when I bought the compressor

15. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Jakarta, ID
    Thank you! I'll find one

Nope, I used everything they gave me, I just have room amp because it's hard to bring the amp everywhere as my main transportation is a motorcycle

16. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Jakarta, ID
    I love my DOD 250, it's really simple but can give me everything I need. Love the sound so much!

gregmon79 likes this.
  17. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Jakarta, ID
    I already know what I need, but thanks for the advice

With the price range, I'm torn between that or MarkBass Compressor, but MXR Studio win because of it size

18. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Jakarta, ID
    I know it, but I like the look on M76 Studio better

My Sire V7 already have a preamp, so I think I don't need more. Or, should I?

19. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Turner first is the only rule, IMO.

You can compress right after the tuner to smooth everything out as it goes into your other pedals, or compress at the end to limit peaks and transient signals.

Your OD can work as a boost if you keep the gain low enough to barely introduce some growl, or drive the gain into distortion and use the boost to pop out if you needed more volume.

20. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Thanks. Since I start following this advice a couple of years ago, I've cut the number of pedals I own by about 75% and I now only buy a pedal if I have no other pedal that will fulfill the need. No more impulse buying.