Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it Enough??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kiopd22, Jul 19, 2005.

1. kiopd22

kiopd22

Jul 19, 2005
    MIA. FL
    Ok i jus recently bought a Hartke Ha3500 head w/ a hartke VX1508 cab. Is that enough? I was thinkin of exchanging the cab for a 4X10 one but im not sure...

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'll the the first to say it - enough for what? What do you do? Where do you play? Do you have PA support?

Odds are, though, yes. Yes it is enough.

3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Enough for what? Please provide some more info. For example: what type of music you will be playing, how many members in your band, what size/type venues you will be playing etc...

4. kiopd22

kiopd22

Jul 19, 2005
    MIA. FL
    well actually what i mean is for small gigs. no i dont use a PA and my guitarist use thos 120Watt ibanez halfstacks but they drown me out still...ppl tell me its the cab the it works of *ohms so im actually putting out like...i dono 280 watts instead of 350..is that true? i dont know anything about these heads n cabs... :crying:

5. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    lol, superduck beat me to the "more info please" post. :(

I'm not too familiar with the amp, looks like its rated 350w at 4ohms- so one 8ohm cabinet would not recieve the amps full amount of power. It would probably only get like 250w into that one cab. However if you added another 8ohm cab (for a combined load of 4ohms) the amp would be sending out more power, driving more speakers...therfore it would be louder. Or you could get the amps full amount of power if you replaced your current 8ohm cab with a 4ohm cab.

6. kiopd22

kiopd22

Jul 19, 2005
    MIA. FL
    OoO gottcha i was planning of that. I was thinkin of going with a 4X10 cab. louder huh? i dont have the money right now 2 buy an additional cab, thats why.

7. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Well if you get a 8ohm 4x10 it will still not be getting the amps full power. It might sound louder though because of the additional speakers.

If you got a 4ohm 4x10, it would be louder and be recieving the maximum power of the amp. But if you want to add another cab later you cannot cause its 4ohm min.

My advice would be to add an 8ohm 2x10 cab. That way you'd get the most out of your amp. Plus it will add mids which will help you cut through better.

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If you are getting drowned out it might have to do with EQ. If your guitarist is using a half stack he can get a lot of lows, so you might consider bumping the low mids and keeping the bass a little lower.

9. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    With the Hartke amp, as with many, the 4x10 will sound much better than the one 15"er. 15" sounds sexy, but you lose so much mids and highs which help define your sound from a mere muddy rumble. I have the 3500, with a 15" cab and 4x10 cab...both work well together, but for smaller gigs when I only need one I use the 4x10.