Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is it even worth it to try and fix??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chadrock, Jan 25, 2005.

1. chadrock

chadrock

Dec 22, 2004
    my dog has chewed through the chord to my bass amp. does anyone have any suggestions as to the possibility of fixing it? or is the amp just 'dead'?

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm assuming you mean the power cord. Take it to a tech and have him replace it.

3. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    The cord can be replaced bro. I wouldn't bother trying to fix it. Just take it to a repair guy and have it replaced.

4. chadrock

chadrock

Dec 22, 2004
    cool, thanks guys!!! I thought I was doomed!! I wasn't even sure if getting it fixed was an option.

5. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Most bass amps use the same power cord as a computer does. PM me your address and I will send you one.

tk

6. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    This depends on the amp. Older amps tend to have an attached power cord, as do several newer ones. If it's attached permanently, then take it to a repair guy and he'll replace it for you. If it's one of the kind that plugs into the back of the amp, then no sweat. They can be picked up anywhere. Like from tkarter. :)

7. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Your amp is toast.

Before you toss it in the trash, send it to me and I'll use it for the parts. ;)

8. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    if your amp was plugged, it's your dog that was toasted.

9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

The detachable cords use what's called an IEC connector (positive / negative / ground).

If it's a captive cord, and you're taking it in for repair, ask for a 10 or 12 gauge cord. I may be wrong here, but I think that your basic garden variety IEC cords use thinner 16 or 18 gauge wire.

Without getting into specifics, beefier power cable can make a big difference to the performance of your amp as they tend to be less current-limiting than the thinner cable.

Audiophile power cords claim a lower noise floor, better bass and cleaner presentation compared to stock cords. I can attest to this in my own home theater and stereo systems.

Using PS Audio PLUS and Prelude powercords in the upstairs system and Wireworld Stratus III in the home theater on the pre and power amps. BIG DIFFERENCE vs. stock cords.

I haven't tried it for any bass amps yet, but I'm itching to give it a whirl.

There are those out there who will denounce these heresies using their version of scientific facts but I say:

Don't flame until you try for yourselves.

10. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I think there's some Tara Labs stuff floating around here somewhere, if the itch gets bad enough..... :bag:

And if it happens to be a 2-prong captive power cord, since you have to have it replaced anyway, have the tech install a 3-prong cord with a grounding connection..... for safety's sake....

11. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Good thread!

I need a new power chord as well because the ground plug has been broken off by the previous user :bawl:
    My music center is going to love me...

12. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    A friend of mine was shocked once by a microphone because of faulty grounding in his amp and it knocked him out for several minutes. If he had been older or had any sort of heart condition, it may have caused a heart attack. It's no light matter... if you have a cord that you even think MIGHT need replaced, get it done. For the safety of yourself and others who may use your amp.

To this day, any time I sing in a band, I have a sock I put over the microphone. :)