Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it ever too hot to play bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jun 19, 2004.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Discuss- With lots of sweatng it can be a turn off for me so if i am ready to rock i try to find some where cool to play, how about you?.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If I'm not sweating like someone dumped a two liter bottle of water on me, I'm not really rocking out.

This only applies to gigging. At home, a minor dampening of my brow means it's time to put the bass on the stand.

3. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, I agree with Brendan, when I'm gigging I'm sweating like crazy from jumping around/headbanging etc. But when I'm at home I will usually wait until it cools down to play, or go outside and find some shade or something.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Great minds and whatnot.

5. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Just kidding. :p
    (I'm bored. I really didn't mean to offend. If I did I am sorry)

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't think that would go over well with my jazz combo.

7. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    You never know until you try!

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Touche'.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Maybe if you actually put some swing those walking lines, you could pull it off.

10. Chicks dig sweaty guys banging their head while playing bass, showering the front row with electrolytes and Urea.

11. girlybassplaya

girlybassplaya Guest

Mar 24, 2004
    USA BABY!
    ^ actually hes right. we do. sweaty guys playing bass. . . ooohhhh! :D

12. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I take it you have never lived in AZ, I spent my teens in and around northern AZ, playing bass and staying out of the sun [oh sun how I hate thee] are key. Playing in the cold, isn't much fun either.

How about playing a long gig that starts hot and as the night goes by it get really cold, and your hands start getting stiff. Still, it's a gig :cool:

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its always worked for me.

Im with Brendan, and vbass.

If Im not soaking wet with sweat at a show, somethings not right. If its practice Id rather not kill strings with sweat and would rather be comfortable.

Then again its rare that I dont sweat at practice. Damn FL. heat/humidity.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Don't I know it. Cripes, and I was about an hour north of West Palm. You're farther north, you have it easier than I did.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I just moved here from Miami 6 months ago and am there at least once a month. Gainesville gets hotter by the way since it doesnt have the ocean air to cool it off, but it also doesnt have the humidity so overall south florida is worse.

Oh, and when Im in Miami I often have to wear long sleve shirts since my grandfather doesnt know about my tattoo and shouldnt know about it either. I think I just won the few extra points it takes to win with that one.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dang. You do win.

But I lived in Alaska, so don't even try to play the cold game. :D

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, well my dad could beat up your dad!

18. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My fashion sense tells me to wear long sleeve shirts onstage, but I HATE playing in sleeves, because they feel confining and can get pretty hot.

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I usually play in a long sleve plaid shirt I have because its really comfortable. I just roll up the sleeves.

Actually the rolled sleeves act as a little bit of padding between my forearm and my bass which is good to have when rocking out.