1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it expensive to have this bass built?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Feb 17, 2008.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I'm thinking of having my dream bass built. It's nothing super exotic or fancy. Basically, I want a passive short scale 6 string fretless built strung EADGCF with very tight string spacing almost like a guitar. As a matter of fact I want the bass itself just a little bit bigger then a guitar.

I want the body to be a natural finish, I'm not sure what wood to use, perhaps the same wood that Fender uses for their MIM Precisions which might be maple? I'm not sure.

I want the neck to be blonde maple. I want the pickup to be the one that's invisible, hidden in the bridge, I think it's called peizo or something, basically, I want it to look like the bass has no pickups with no 60 cycle hum. I also want to use round wound strings. Oh, and one volume and one tone knob.

That's about it. Nothing fancy, nothing exotic. Approximately how much would something like this cost? Under $600 hopefully? Anybody here that builds basses or had one built can feel free to come in this thread and post on the topic.

This is my dream bass..... :bassist:

2. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    600 for a custom baritone with piezos? Doubtful to say the least. A decent piezo system will cost that much in itself.

If you want to sacrifice the looks and pickups, and just want a 6 string baritone bass, look at the Fender offerings.

3. crkempton

crkempton

May 30, 2006
    Utah
    Custom = $1000+

and that's being VERY optimistic

a full custom job will cost lots, no matter how simple.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Visit http://www.warmoth.com and price the components you'd need to build a standard J or P Bass...it'll be over $600.

Your only hope would be http://www.wishbass.com

5. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    +1

x3

That would make it at least $3003+

6. Tslicebass

Tslicebass Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Chicago
    2000-3000 at least

7. crkempton

crkempton

May 30, 2006
    Utah
    Ahh... yes. The beloved wishbass. Making crap only a bassist could love.

8. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    If you were willing to forego the piezo pickup, and just get regular magnetic pickups, a used Musicman Silhouette Bass might be what you're looking for.

9. CapeBass

CapeBass Guest

I'm having a custom 4 string built and the hardware and wood have come to $712, that's not including the builders fee. It's not super exotic wood either.

10. CapeBass

CapeBass Guest

I would like to add I didn't spend the $$ all at once, buy the wood first then a couple components at a time as it's being built. It was kinda like a payment program to me:smug:

11. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Wow, I just had no idea of how much that would cost. That sucks. Also is a baritone guitar just a low sounding guitar or a bass? I don't really want to play a guitar.

12. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Baritone - slightly longer scale than guitar - 28 5/8", usually strung B-b or A-a, what you want is E-e and tuned up slightly... which can be done. Good piezos are expensive, however.

13. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Piezo systems cost nowhere near $600. The Fishman Matrix which an excellent choice usually goes for less than $150. Doesn't mean that what you want could be done for $600, but if you find someone with skills whose starting out they might be able to do it for between $1,000 and $1,500.

14. Blonde Maple?
    Try Brunette One, it's Smarter :D

15. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Even a custom baritone, $600, very very hard to come by (walking the line of impossible). However If you did, you may not like the outcome. Most of the time custom= not cheap ($600). Possibly overseas, but not for $600 either.

16. jakusx

jakusx

Nov 11, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale
    Someone made a Fender VI knockoff, I want to say it was Music Man, but I remember it being less than $400. Maybe their cheapy branch, OLP or whatever. I think it was called an OLP. It was very similar to your desires, but you know, realistic.

17. Why don't you buy one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310022137549

and slap it one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Hello-Kitty-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=512071

Then buy this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...for-Fender-American-Standard-Strat?sku=307100

File the nut and the bridge saddles to fit a regular 6 string set (the thicker gauge will accomadate the shorter scale) and you are good to go

That comes in at under $600, you will have a short scale, close spaced thing. It dosn't fit the no pickup/2 knob criteria but you can sand the finish off for the maple look.

Just one suggestion. Reminds me of a sign above my buddie's desk (he is a repairman). It reads:

You can have it done:

Right

Fast

Cheap

Please choose 2

18. Danelectro baritone bass + defret - piezo option = win.

19. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
  20. Not *this* bassist, bro!