1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it feasible to have a pickup chrome plated?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lunarpollen, Aug 22, 2007.

1. After reading reviews online, I've decided that a DiMarzio Model One pickup would probably be best for my reissue Rivoli. However, I think the pickup (a big graphite-colored brick) looks hideous in comaprison to the shiny chrome cover of the stock pickup. But now I'm wondering if it would be possible to just have the Model One (or at least the visible face and sides of it) plated at a chrome shop. Would it be safe to do? Would it affect the magnetic properties at all? Could it cause any short-circuiting problems? I know next to nothing about the chrome plating process or the properties of the chrome itself...

2. It appears that the pickup you're referencing has a plastic cover. To chrome plate it, would require a metal cover. Not common for modern bass pickups.

3. You can paint it in chrome instead of real-chrome plating. Real chrome, as any metal covering, will eat some highs.

4. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Model One has metal cover, not plastic cover.
    Marko

5. If I could find a decent, easy-to-apply chrome paint I would go that route.... All the chrome paint methods I've been able to find seem to be almost as involved as actual chrome plating...