1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it Fretlesses or Fretli???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rllefebv, Apr 25, 2006.

1. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    What is the correct plural? Either way, here is my pair...

On the left is a '70 Hohner XK250... Nice sounding and playing bass, sits very well in the mix... I did some work to get it into playing shape and am very glad...

On the right is my latest acquisition... A '71/'72 Ovation Typhoon III fretless. It has a funky textured finish that I am told is original, (and looks to be from the inside), but the only pix I've been able to find show either cherry or burst. It had a badly repaired break near the headstock as well as a mostly non-functioning pickup selector switch... I re-split the break and used some well heated, (and thus very thin), hide glue to get deep into the crack... Clamped overnight and sanded smooth for a very functional, (if not terribly attractive), repair. Replaced the switch, (the original had some extra leaves and a capacitor, which I will try and duplicate in the future), with a standard selector switch and powered her up...

This bass has a great acoustic tone unplugged, and a very, very high output, easily the hottest of all my basses. The tone is a little more 'in your face' than the Hohner, but should settle nicely after the strings break in a bit... I will use it on a day gig Thursday, and will use one of these Saturday when my band opens for Junior Brown in Portland... They're both unique instruments and should fit nicely into the vibe of that show :D

[​IMG]

-robert

2. Elliott

Elliott

Mar 20, 2000
    Nice basses (bassi?)

The Ovation doesn't look fretless. How are the markers put on there?

3. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    The plural is fretlesses.

Is the Ovation a short scale? I'm not familiar with those basses.

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I really like the look of hollow and/or semi-hollow bodies.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I had one of those Typhoons for some years (a cherry one)- it's a terrific-sounding bass! The fret markers are inlaid, and it is short scale. Mine did have a few dead spots on the fingerboard, but otherwise it was fat and punchy and round sounding, and very comfortable to play. I've never seen one of those black ones before, but I have heard of their existance. I happen to have a spare brass bridge cover if you're interested!

6. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Fretless is an adjective. :meh:

7. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    fantastic looking basses!

...sound clips?

-jimbo

8. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    DING DING DING!!!!!one!!

9. lhoward

lhoward

Apr 27, 2003
    Western NY State
    Agreed. As such, the adjective is not plural, just the noun, i.e. "fretless basses." :))

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    As my daughter so quickly pointed out ;)

Yes, the Ovation is a shorty with thin inlaid lines, which are partially missing on the fifth, ninth, and seventeenth positions... This bass has some 'subdued' areas, most noticeably the C# - D# on the G string, and, oddly enough, the Bb on the E string. Not as 'dead' as the C# on my P, and certainly useable...

And Bongomania, I am definitely interested in a cover... PM me with the gritty details!

I like the hollow-bodies, and I definitely consider these basses as 'rescued'... The Ovation was pretty playable as it was, but the neck was going to fail badly at some point... The Hohner was a basket case, but is rapidly becoming my first choice...

-robert

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    BZZZZZZZZZZ! WRONG!

What is Fretlae, Alex?

12. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Very short length on that ovation, but hot looking basses nontheless!

13. Eli M.

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Actually, the singular of "fretlae" would be "fretla" (as with larvae and larva). ;)

But I usually say "fretless basses."

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sooaaahhh, Eli ... does that make you an amateur lexicographer or a coprophagous pettifogger?

15. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    The unilateral humidifier.

16. Eli M.

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Well, I may be a pettifogger, but I am most certainly not coprophagous! (I looked it up. I learned two new words today! :D )

Plus, I only have one fretless bass anyway.

I'd like to hear soundclips of these basses.

17. shizack

shizack

Aug 24, 2004
    Drunk at the bar: "How many 'dem guitars you got?"
    Me: "Uh, 2 fretted and 2 fretless."

So I suppose the real plural of "fretless" would be "fretless".

Same drunk: "So you got 2 fretteds?"

18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Can you play the blues on a fretless? Or is it playing the blue on a fretle? Or "I shall now perform blues music upon my fretless bass guitar."

19. you guys are f-ing insane

lol

nice basses in the first post by the way.

20. Doesn't matter. It's perfectly acceptable in English, as in many other languages, to form a noun from what was originally an adjective, either as a for-the-moment coining or as an enduring new word. Happens all the time. "Human" is an example. So is "tonic." Assuming this process has taken place with "fretless," the answer is "fretlesses."