Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it good to learn 1 string at a time?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Feb 18, 2005.

1. That way I can always use it as a foundation if I get lost on the other strings?

I am a beginner bass player but an advanced piano player. I hear the notes in my head from years of piano playing, but I am just trying to get a feel of where to place my fingers by hearing the notes, as well as learning where they all lie on the fretboard.

2. No. I think you'd better learn the scales using all of your strings. Using only one string would be very counter-intuitive. That would be almost like trying to learn piano while using only the white keys or the black keys.

3. I have heard stories of Boston-based educator and piano player, Charlie Banacos, having guitar students (Mike Stern for instance, but hardly a beginner) improvise over standards on one string as an exercise. I think that this could be a great exercise for getting someone who has been playing for a while out of a rut. But for where it sounds like your playing is at, I would work on scales, arpeggios, and learning intervals on the bass across the strings. Develop a harmonic vocabulary. Pick some tunes that you an play on the piano and try to come up with bass parts for them. If you are really serious about learning bass, you might want to look into getting a good teacher in your area. I'm a piano player who took up bass a few years ago as well BTW. Good luck.

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    No. Learn the whole thing.

5. I'd say spend your time learning the location of every note on the neck and the scale fingering patterns.:cool:

6. Only if you're going to play washtub bass.