1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it hard to build a Warmoth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mulepods, Apr 10, 2006.

1. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
    Forgive me if this has been discussed, but how difficult is it to put together a Warmoth? If you buy a finished body & neck, isn't it just a matter of simply:

a) install neck
    b) install control plate + pots + jack
    c) install pups
    d) install bridge
    e) install tuners

I have taken apart many basses and reassembled them without issue. So could I handle the job? I want a solid Jazz but I'm sick of Fender, and since Valenti uses Warmoth I figure the parts must be solid.

2. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I did it an my bass plays really sweet. I think that might be a bit of a fluke though if it needed shimming or somethign like that I might have been prety screwed. My only beef with it is I'd like it to be a bit brighter but that might be in the strings.

I even had it pre routed and installed a hip shot tremolo. Also You can tell it wasn't professionally done, theres a few scratches etc. I was pretty careful but things happen when you arn't working with the best tool for the job.

In the end It was a fun project and I kinda like the fact that I can say i built it myself and I like the fact its got all the parts I want. If I were really worried about the finish I would haev had someone else do it . but I don't mind my basses looking like I play them anyways.

3. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    yes

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Easy to get a decent bass, takes a lot more than that to get a great bass. There's final work to be done, fretwork maybe, and of course the final setup is what makes it perfect.

Wiring isn't too bad, it'll work, but it may not be as pretty as Nino's.

5. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have the patience or skills. Heck, by the time I've successfully installed a ceiling fan in our house, I've unleashed so much profanity that my wife won't speak with me for days! :D

6. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    That can be a good thing. :cool:

7. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

was that due to making mistakes or just because you didnt like the fan?:D

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes, but building your very own custom bass is a labor of love.

You still might be swearing...but for different reasons. :D

9. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I'd rather pay somebody to assemble it, and use that time for practice. Plus, if you get someone else to be accountable, you have someone to blame besides yourself when it doesn't come out right.

"What do you mean you drilled through the headstock while installing the tuners? You're going to replace this neck, right??" :)

10. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Check out my blog about what it took to assemble my P-Bass using Warmoth, All Parts, and Mighty Mite parts.

http://midiasylum.com/pbass

It all finally worked out OK, but the bridge alignment was a nightmare. If you get a body that already has the route for a particular bridge, it may go more smoothly.

BTW, that Reverend P pickup is amazing for $18.00

11. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Is it easy to build one? Yes.

Is it easy to build one very, very well, so that it feels and plays in the same league as a Sadowsky? Probably not, for most of us.

I think I'm going with Nino when the time comes for my 5-string P/J.

12. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    A couple of things are a bit unnerving about the process. I drilled recessed strap locks into the body which needed 1/4 holes drilled. The touchest part is the wiring and electronics cavity. You really appreciate the work Nino Valenti does when you see every wire cut to the precise length and cable tied perfectly. My electronics compartment resembles a rats nest but it all works and sounds great. It takes some skill to get it all together with the screws all drilled correctly without maring the finish. If you are a meticulous kind of guy, I suggest you give it a try.

And yes, the Warmoth parts are top quality!

13. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Are the body and neck Warmoth? I asked for a quote from Nino and I wanted the black blocks on maple neck with binding (Geddy Lee jazz). He said that I couldn't get a P body with that neck, now I am confused.

14. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    No, the neck is AllParts, and the body is Mighty Mite. They joined perfectly, but I think I was naively lucky. Almost everything else was purchased through Warmoth.

I've now begun building pedals...much more forgiving. :)

And if I had to do it all over again, I would either buy all of the correct tools to do the job right, or save money and time and just pay Nino.

15. Two Q's.....

How good do you want the results to be?

What is your time worth?

16. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I want mine perfect...:D

My time is very valuable, but when I'm doing something for myself, it's priceless.

I'm an artist...When I do a painting for someone, I charge accordingly. When I do one for myself, I couldn't afford my own work...good thing I love what I do! :D

17. I've been entertaining the idea of building a bass from Warmoth parts the only part I really find intimidating is cutting the nut I'm sure if I take my time it will be fine but I could see that particular process driving me nuts (no pun intended) and lead to much swearing. I would be just as cost effective to go buy a new G&L or Rick but I still want to build one myself. I would definitely decide on pickup config and brdge type and order the body routed and drilled, I don't think one should try that the first time.

18. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    cutting the nut is probably the cheapest thing to do. All you need it a set of files, and plenty of blanks. Both of which are not much $$. You can test and re-test without glueing the nut in, so no worries.

I should have mentioned earlier that I built a warmoth p/j awhile back. It came out great, though I ended up selling it for just about what I had in to it.

Lessons learned:

Have the right tools for the job. I routed for better truss rod access, but without a proper sized router and router bit, it is quite a difficult task. My huge craftsman made this a real chore.

It would have been infinitely easier if I had a drill press to drill the holes for the neck, tuners, and pickguard. The bridge was pre-drilled, which is great. I can't imagine lining that up!

Take your time, and you can do it, I probably had a good 12 hours into mine. Again, I'd rather use that 12 hours for something else :)

19. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I wish they made real 4-string Gecko's. The heel-less neck joint, etc, is awesome.

By the way, Warmoth's shop tremolo model is up for sale on their site. Just a little over a grand, I think.