1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it hard to find a used Sterling Ray34 for under $450? Thinking of buying one now.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean775, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Sean775

Sean775 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    I have an opportunity to buy a Sterling 34 for $400, but I'm trying to not spend much money right now. I'm wondering if I should buy this now, or will there be plenty of other opportunities to buy a Ray34 for a similar price in a few months when I get a raise and I'm not worried about saving money?

2. Not to be that guy who doesn’t really answer your question, but if you’re saving and at $400 you’re just about halfway to affording an actual EBMM used. And if you’re okay with waiting for a few months anyway, I think it’s an option worth considering.

3. Sean775

Sean775 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    Welll my plan would be to upgrade the stock Sterling pup and maybe upgrade some hardware as well. So I guess after that it would be in between a Sterling and an MM in terms of quality and sound

4. So let's say you pick up the Sterling at $400. Looking at Reverb:
    Stingray pickup: $116.
    Hardware, I couldn't really find. But I think I remember hearing that the hardware is close. Heck, it may be like a G&L Tribute scenario where the electronics and stuff are the American counterpart pieces, and the body is what's built out of country.

Looking at Reverb, it looks like the prices for a used Ray34 are around $500 to $750. So it is a deal. My thought would then be "is it worth an extra $100 to have some financial stability and wait a couple of months?" My answer would be yes. Imagine getting it and having to sell it for $250 two months later because your budget is shot. That would suck.