1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is It Important To You To Have Similar Necks On Your Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasper383, Aug 25, 2007.

1. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Gary Willis talks of having the same size/profile necks on different basses, to improve muscle memory and learning. I guess adjusting from neck to neck can slow you down.

Is this important to you when you buy/trade for a new bass?

2. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I'm by no means a pro (I prefer the term "glorified amateur"), but for me I kind of enjoy having basses with different necks... I get a nice sense of variety from them. If i'm feeling 'burnt' after playing one bass too much I can switch to another and have a slightly different experience.

The necks on my stingray, MIM Jazz, and SX P are all quite different... I lean towards the stingray neck I think, but there are times when a nice thin Jazz neck feels good too.

I read a guitar lesson book once that suggested learning to play guitar on as many kinds of guitars (they were referring to 6 strings, so i suppose it could be a bit different) as possible so that you can develop a level of comfort and familiarity on different guitars so that you won't be "crippled" if for some reason your main player is unavailable. I can see both sides to this argument though. Whatever floats your boat, really.

3. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    well, I have a few basses at the moment for different kinds of music I like to get into, and I can say that it can be better to have similar necks, but I can also tell you that it depends on the style a lot (for me atleast)!

I mean, I play in a stoner rock band for fun, and I play my fender way low with high action and a pick, cause it looks and sounds awesom for what I need, and considering the genre it ain't that tough to play!:D
    the strings are pretty far apart on thet neck, and the neck is fairly thick for my taste!

on the other hand, with the band that actually manages to pay the checks I use my custom with pretty low action and it's a bit below my chin for the stuff I play!:D
    the strings are quite narrowly spaced on that one, and the neck is REALLY thin there!:D

that's a short example from me.basicaly what I meant to say is, it al depends on how you feel about it!

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    No. Adapt.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'll play whatever. I've got fat necks, thin necks, short scale, long scale, whatever. I prefer necks with Jazz width and a radius between 9.5" and 12", but I'll play pretty much anything if it's a good bass.

6. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    I will only buy/play basses that feel nice and natural to my hands.
    Granted, tone is the most important thing, but with all the options out there now you don't have to limit yourself to one company because it feels good. I love Stingrays, Jazzes, and Precisions, and have no problem switching back and forth. I play 35 and 34 scale basses...no biggie! I play upright...huge different there, but I've adjusted.

Do i love the feel of a super thick gibson or warwick neck? No.
    Does it really bother me when I play one? Not really, but I'm not gonna buy something that doesn't feel perfect.

For me, I think string spacing has a larger effect on you technique when switching from bass to bass, but it's nothing that can't be overcome with a little time in the wood shed.

No excuses, Practice through it.
    I choose not to be like those pro basket ball players who, even though they get paid millions to shoot a ball through a hoop, couldn't do it when they made a slight change to the ball. :eyebrow:

7. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I never used to worry much about neck shape ...

Then I kinda reaquainted myself with a Jazz bass awhile back after a long absence from them. Since then my last six basses have had a J-taper neck.

;) ... So yeah I guess you could say there is a trend there.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It's not important to me if they're the same. As long as it feels good, I'll be happy to play on it!

9. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Kinda like my putters, some days one isn't doing for me so I pick another one out of the bag.

10. rollo47

rollo47 Wraggotry in Motion

Nov 12, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    I don't think it matters too much - I go from the baseball bat on my Corvette FNA Jazzman 5er to the slim neck on my Jazz regularly.

11. Maybe this is what's been holding me back for so long :eek:

12. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Like casio, I have several basses at the moment. And while they are all very different in sound, look, type, etc., the necks on my main players tend to be similar. In fact, I've done a lot of buying, selling, and trading over the years to get the necks that I like. Which is not to say that I think it's necessary to have necks that are the same/similar. It's just that I like what I like. And over the years, I've tended to keep those that I like the best.

And although my EUB is nothing like what I prefer in a bass neck, I won't hesitate to play it....just not all night!:D

dcr

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I have a preference for wide necks with a shallow profile, but my basses have a variety of widths and profiles, and I play them all.

14. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    It's importand to have comfortable necks on your basses :)
    There are some necks I like ( my basses, rickenbacker ) , some necks that i need few minutes to get on ( fender ) and some necks that I don't like and I will never enjoy playing ( like BTB 400 )

15. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I'm partial to my Geddy and Jag which have similar necks. When try other basses now, they don't feel quite right to me.

16. I have two L2000's, one with a #6 neck and one with a #7. Specifically because I need a thin neck sometimes, and a thick neck other times. But always want that versatile preamp.

17. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Yes, it's true, and to my is a must, especially when performing live. My spare/secondary bass has to have the same neck as my main; I used to switch between basses during gigs and it was a little difficult to adjust "on the fly" when going from a thin neck to a wider & bulky one. My fingers seem to remember certain positions on the fretboard.

18. 88persuader

88persuader

Aug 5, 2007
    Important? Guess that depends on the person. BUT it does make life easier if you're use to a neck shape and size and go from a fretted bass to a fretless where finger intonation and placement is very important.

Personally I've had an Alembic short scale neck bass (Stanley Clark signature 32" scale) and an Alembic Epic 5 string (35" scale) and an Alembic Persuader (I THINK 33" scale) all at the same time and the difference between the necks only screwed me up for a few seconds when I switched basses live. I don't think I've ever owned basses with the exact same size and shaped necks and I always bring and switch between at least two basses when I gig live. (I gig almost every weekend) Right now my Two Modulus basses both have 35" scale necks but one's a 5 string and one's a 6 string so the necks are STILL different. Never bothered me. Guess someone else it could drive nuts.

19. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Some necks are easier to play than others. Unless you try, you can never be sure what fits you like a glove. On the other hand, if you adopt to a different neck you may think differently and have new paths opening in front of you. I always compose different types of music depending on the mood I am and on the style that I need to adjust my playing on different basses (that's why, jokingly, I call my self an instrument-ist and not a bass-ist)

20. Blackmag+c

Blackmag+c

Feb 1, 2007
    Amen. :bassist: