Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it in your blood?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by eldave777, Aug 19, 2005.

1. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I have been playing since I was 5 years old. I've had guitars my whole life. My father once told me that all the men in our family, for as far back as his great, great, great, whatever had been musicians. He showed me pictures of all these men sitting around with guitars, mandolins, banjo's, piano's, etc. playing and hanging out. I had always believed I was the one who "took it up a notch" because I did gigs and toured. My dad informed me that my grandfather had played bars in bands for years. In fact shortly after my grandfather passed, my father got a call from a guy that was in a band with my grandfather to say he didn't get paid for a gig they did once and could he get the cash from my dad. Dad told him he must have been an a-hole if his dad didn't pay him.
    Anybody else have a family history of musicians? I find this kinda interesting. :D

2. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    I don't know if it's "in your blood" or if just growing up around music, musicians, and musical gear pushes you that way. It's the "old inheirited vs learned behavior" arguement.

I do believe this: I think bass players can be born that way. I'm a 3rd generation bassist. I still own my grandfather's Kay upright. Neither him nor my Dad did much with it (church mainly) but they were both fine players. They knew what bass was and its role. As far back as I can remember I've always heard the bass line of a tune. I vividly remember hearing my Dad sing bass lines. Maybe that's where I got it. But I know that I've always been about bass musically. I know as part of your development and understanding of music one should be curious about other instruments. I've just never felt the need. I've got some guitars at home. I goof around on them and record with them, but I tend to play them like a bass!

Great topic. I'm looking forward to seeing what everybody thinks..........

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Not here. I am the first person in my family to play a musical instrument of any kind.

-Mike

4. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    although a few people in my family have started up with music before me, none have taken it as seriously as i have (not to sound like a prick). :ninja:

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yes
    a few of my family members (dad and uncle) have played instruments. my dad plays drums and my uncle played bass.
    and.. it's nto really like a hands on instrumenr like a bass, but my mom has an amazing voice

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I would say so. My dad plays guitar, and messes with piano and banjo a bit. His oldest brother taught himself to play fiddle, piano and accordian. His youngest brother plays guitar (I believe), keyboard and trumpet and has a 3 piece band that does weddings, cruises, functions and even used to do the Boston Celtics home games (www.javajiveband.com) (My uncle is the one on the left in the picture). They're playing at my wedding and I can't wait. He even played with Tony Bennett's backing band back in the 80's when he came around here.

Ok, what else.. my dads second oldest brother doesn't do anything now, but he used to play the drums. My dad, grandfather and all my dad's brothers except for one used to be in drum & bugle corp. I think my mother took guitar for a while when she was a kid too but I don't know if that really counts :)

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Music is in our blood where I come from....

8. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Same here. Nobody on either side of my family can recall anyone ever having any interest in playing an instrument at all.

9. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I don't think that I inherited any sort of musical talant, but I do think that I was born with(or into) a love for music. No one else in my family plays music.

My parents were still hippies when I was born and always had music playing in our house. They tell me that as an infant I would crawl to the speakers, pick myself up, and rock to the music. We also had a piano in our house that was there before I was born. I grew up playing around on that piano, just banging and drooling on it. We have these old Super8 videos (the kind you play on a projector) of it.

My sister grew up in the same environment and has never played music. Why me? Was I born with it?

10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Same here. She grew up around the same influence with my dad playing and family get togethers where all my uncles would play, but it never rubbed off on her. When I had a double bass pedal on my drums she could do pretty fast 16th's, but that was it :)

11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Me and my brother are the only ones in our family to play instruments.

We're even together in a band, he plays the g**tar.

12. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

guitar and at avery young age I would put my ear in the upper dound hole of his "one armed harp guitar". He had recorded in his eraly twenties. Several of his brothers played and a couple still do. Many of my cousins played instruments also (some still do). Every sunday from before I remember until the later 60's many of the relatives would get together at my grandparents house. The window porch facing the lake was filled with musiscians from 10yrs old to 35yrs old.
    It was just assumed that I would be in a band. One of my uncles ownes a radio station. He used to travel around running them for an investment group.

I remember getting to run the tape recorder, what a thril for a little kid a long time ago.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

13. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    My dad played guitar, and that's about all I know as far as family musicianship goes. I played sax through junior high and picked up the bass a few years ago.

14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yes it is. My grandfather played bass and has played with Stan Getz and Charlie Mingus among others. My grandmother is an amazing singer. My dad plays bass and guitar, my uncles play, my brother plays etc. I definitely think it's just something in the genes.

15. My uncle kind of plays guitar, but Im the first "real" musician (aka bass player)

16. No real musicians in my family. Dad tinkered with the organ during family functions and Mom played records ALL the time. I'm lucky to have a REALLY good musical ear thanks to my dad. He was able to hear songs and reproduce them on the organ - just for fun. Thanks to those records, I was exposed to a lot of different music.

17. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I had a great grandfather that was naturally talented at piano. He played in a church. My cousin plays guitar/bass and is a recording engineer in Nashville.

Then there's me, the mediocre bassist. :D

18. Both of my father's Uncles were classicly trained Guitarists, on par with if mabye not better that segovia.

19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My Dad plays guitar and can sing fairly well.

20. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    My dad plays drums... But he was the first one in his family. I don't believe that you can be born with musical talent (unless we're talking mathematical stuff like Mozart, I think that's more of an innate math ability applied to music). Loving and playing music comes from growing up around music and enjoying it.