Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it Jaco?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JacoJr, May 6, 2003.

1. JacoJr

JacoJr Guest

Mar 26, 2002
    Decatur GA.
    I was researching for a project I am doin on Flamenco guitar and stumpled onto the page of an AMAZING guitar player by the name of Paco de Lucia. While listening to his albums on his website under discography), I happened upon a CD of his made some time in the eighties or early nineties. I noticed that the bass player on there sounds ALOT like Jaco, harmonics and all. Take a listen and see what you think.

Paco de Lucia's home page

(check the discography section under '81-'90, and find the CD entitled "Solo Quiero Caminar")

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  3. JacoJr

JacoJr Guest

Mar 26, 2002
    Decatur GA.
    Oh, well thanks for lettin me know. I didn't think it was big enough to be a jaco sound, but then again, not very many things come close to it.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    There are similarities - it sounds like the bass player was influenced by Jaco, but no, I don't think that's Jaco.

5. It couldn't have been Jaco because he was dead in the late 80's early 90's.

6. He died in 1987.

Right? :confused:

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Right.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    right :(

9. I love flamenco, and am a big Paco de Lucia fan (must have something to do with my ancestry). Paco has a knack for assembling some really good musicians to back him. One of my favorite pieces by Paco, where the bass interaction with the guitar is superb, is "Monasterio de Sal". There's a short mp3 HERE which really doesn't do the tune justice. If you can find the entire tune somewhere, do yourself a favour and listen to it.

HERE'S the Amazon page with a sample of that tune where you can hear the fretless work.

(That's Carles Benavent on bass, btw.)

10. But if he died in '87, what great bassist died in '89? I got all my dates confused right now.

11. My favorite Paco de Lucia tune is a duet with Al DiMeola called Mediterranean Sundance.
    There's a short clip here but it cuts of before it relly gets good. http://www.guitar9.com/elegantgypsy.html

12. JacoJr

JacoJr Guest

Mar 26, 2002
    Decatur GA.

I just got the "Friday Night in San Fransisco" CD with Paco de Lucia, Al Demiola, and John Mcloughlan (I thing thats how you spell it), it is really an amazig CD.