1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it just a competitive thing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thumpy McGroove, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Thumpy McGroove

Thumpy McGroove

Jul 11, 2012
    Maine
    I'm new here (Hello TalkBass community:hyper:). I have been playing for about 8 years or so. I became interested in this forum because I assumed it would be a good place to learn and seek constructive criticism to improve my playing. I have noticed that the posts along the lines of "Help, I need advice on a technique or theory" get very little responses. But the posts about gear and such get all the replies.

How come people don't want to help fellow bass players but will go blue in the face talking about pre-amps or strings? Is it just people being competive, similar to a fisherman not telling you the best place to find the big fish?

2. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    You could try the 'technique', 'general instruction' or 'tab' forums. I suspect you've only looked at the gear threads if all you are reading about is gear?

There is some truly fantastic stuff here and some truly wonderful people. You just need the patience to seek it out.

Come back to this thread in six months and hopefully by then you'll dig what I mean.

3. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    This is a great medium to talk about gear but a bad medium to teach music. Also, since the nomenclature isn't standardized and different people teach differently, it's hard to keep a thread on theory going straight. Plus, once someone answers the question, there's really nothing left to say.

4. Thumpy McGroove

Thumpy McGroove

Jul 11, 2012
    Maine
    Ok i just view what ever threads pop up on the homepage and wasn't aware of searching based on the topic I was looking for. But thanks I will try that from now on.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Go to the DB side.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    :rolleyes:

7. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Fixed it fer ya... :p :smug:

MM

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Check out all the forums here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f108/

Also check out my >500 links below for lots of great TB info.

9. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    All true. But there is another factor, one which long-term TalkBass members encounter regularly, yet which is seldom addressed here. It is this:

There are far too many green young n00bs here whose very first instinct is to post questions on TalkBass, expecting to be force-fed the answers like a baby bird in its nest...without having taken even the first simple step to find out the answers on their own; even so much as to understand the basic contours of the issue about which they are posting; even to know enough to pose their questions in a sensible, meaningful way.

These are the kind of kids who will bump their question thread 30 minutes after having posted it, annoyed, and demanding to know why no one has yet dropped everything to post a response to their poorly-conceived, poorly-worded questions. :rollno:

While there is a wealth of good information that exists in the collective experience of TalkBass members - and particularly the pro musicians who belong here - unlocking that information requires a combination of a) decent searching/researching skills, and b) demonstrating that you're willing to invest some of your own time & effort into your own musical education - and that you're not relying on anybody else to just hand it to you. That's just a matter of basic cluefulness...and respect. :eyebrow:

While I cherish the Internet, in some way I'm glad that I grew up in the days before it became mainstream. Having to find answers the hard way - through research, observation and personal experience - taught me to be resourceful, proactive and self-reliant. Too many kids now have become intellectually lazy and too dependent upon others in online discussion forums and other social media to just "tell them" - even when the information in question can be learned only through direct personal experience... :eyebrow:

MM

10. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    Oh, so this one is the young people's fault too... guys, don't go in old man Mystic's yard, he's a crotchety old fart. :bag:

I agree about people not doing research, but it has nothing to do with age or growing up with the internet. As you can see I'm relatively new to TB, belong to a generation that grew up with the interwebs and 2 or 3 of my last 10 posts were telling people to check stickies for their answer.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You might call it the dark side, but there's more light shed on these topics there than here.

12. 1) Because technique is boring ;).
    2) At least in my case, every time I've had a question about technique I could find a video that explained it to me much more quickly plus I can actually see it in action and tell whether or not it will work for me.

13. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I tease. I TEASE! :smug: :p

MM

14. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I won't be getting into a p!ss!ing match with you about this, that's for sure. Suffice it to say that for many hundreds, perhaps even thousands of active TalkBassers who have been here far longer than you, my remarks require no justification and no explanation. They've seen this kind of thing on a regular basis. They get it.

Deny the "Internet effect" all you want. It matters not to me. I have seen it with my own eyes, in online media far beyond just TalkBass itself, and to me it is crystal clear that people young enough to have never been without the Internet tend to grow up with a sense that "information is easy" so "why should (I) have to work for it?" It is very analogous to the "music is free" mindset - fostered to a great extent by the P2P networks - that often makes it so hard for performing artists - and the labels & publishing entities that represent them - to get paid. Very similar dynamic... :eyebrow:

MM

15. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    Oh calm down, the first half of my post was tongue-in-cheek. You're just too quick to blame "the younger generation" in my opinion. If anything, half of those pointless questions are posted by older people because they don't have the technical know-how to conduct proper research online.

At some point every generation starts thinking the one to come after them is going to ruin the world. Your parents probably thought it about your generation at some point, and now you're falling for the same thing.

16. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    This is a great example of what happens to the sort of threads you asked about. Great job guys, you really delivered! :D

17. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Good grief.

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

There's little to argue with in that statement. This is true in every single TB forum. But to be fair, not only is it true of noobs, but it's also true of a fair number of experienced members who are simply too lazy to do any homework and want to have other people do it for them. This is rude, no matter what other words one applies to it.

However, it's also fair to note that this is true in every Internet forum. I hang out in car forums and people come in all the time asking questions that are answered in their owner's manual or are transparently easy to answer with a 10-second Google search.