Is It Just Me?....(Norton question)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rickbass, Feb 24, 2004.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've noticed my Norton Anti-Virus has had to automatically run updates on my home PC about everyday.......quite unusual compared to a year ago......(of course, MicroSlut is almost no help!).

Is this happening because the hackers are just going nuts these days ???

Also, do you find that Spyware is dangerous stuff nowadays ???

Thanks for any insights. I'm no techie by any stretch of the imagination. (JMX, Embellisher, JT, and you other tech heavyweights - your input is much appreciated).
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I guess Symantec is just increasing their update frequency. This might be more a result of longer online times of the average user than of an increased risk. I use Kaspersky AVP and they had daily updates even before the major players did.

If you pracise the usual care with emails, and use tools like spybot S&D, ad-aware and spywareblaster, you're safe as ever IMO.
  3. rickbass

Yep, JMX, I always delete anything with an attachment from a sender I don't know and use the Spyware.

I'm just surprised my Norton Antivirus is running every day I get online. Before, I had to remember to run it every week or so.

I appreciate your input.
  4. rickbass

Dave - Conceptually, I know what it is.....I just can't explain it with any authority.

So, I'll just say this - When you're cruising around the net and select a site or get a pop-up, Spyware software installs on your computer without you knowing it, so it can track where you go every time you use your computer and send your address to a bunch of sites that want to spam you. In other words, it invisibly tracks your web surfing habits.

If you install something like Spybot, (which I have), you may be amazed at how many places are tracking your web surfing habits and using them to their advantage.

If anyone finds a flaw in my weak explanation, please say so.
  5. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Symantec stuff is pretty instrusive and large.
    My virus scanner is about 8 MB installed. Norton is at least 3 times as large IIRC.
  6. Thanks for the info, Rickbass. Can I get Spybot for free via the web or do I have to purchase this software? I get loads of spam every day... :mad:
  7. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I use NAV and have also noticed an increased frequency in updates, from weekly to daily. That's OK with me.

For spyware I use ad-aware. I've also heard great things about Spybot, and if JMX recommends spywareblaster then I'm sure it's good too. Be careful about others: some of these programs remove most spyware but install spyware of their own! Link to more info on this and related topics:
  9. I have mcafee and its been updating pretty requarly alot more than norton used when i had that
  10. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    There has been a marked increase in various mass-mailing worms targeting M$ products recently. Viral activity is, generally, very high at the moment. People are starting to wise-up about patching but there is a long way to go.

BTW, people who write virii are not 'hackers'
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I just turn all of that garbage off on my computer. Makes me feel like a daredevil...kinda like going to work without wearing underwear!

12. rickbass

Just an FWIW, folks - As usual, my Norton automatically updated when I first booted up today because there's a new "mydoom" virus on the loose.

Plus, I got an email that said "I need you!" with an attactment from someone I never heard of.

And the hits just keep on comin'..........