1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it just me or are the Ampeg SVT 7PRO's prone to failing???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by halloweenfiend, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Hey guys I'm on my second 7PRO right now and I notice it seems to shut off when playing it. Volume about halfway, no crazy eg, hooked up to an Ampeg 410hlf, playing a Fender Mustang.

THe first 7PRO worked well, but every now and then would power down and come back on during practice. Took it to it's first gig and it blew on me with in two songs. No power and would not turn back on. So I called up American Musical Supply and got them to send me a new one. Got it TODAY 4/23 and set it up, started checking it out and sure as rain it powers down.

I just don't get it... wondering if anyone else is having the same 7PRO problems. I will be contacting Ampeg to see what they have to say, and looks like I will be requesting my refund in full if I can figure this one out. Just thought I'd let the word out and see what comes back.

-Jon

2. BassfromPA

BassfromPA

Apr 23, 2010
    I don't know the particular model, but I have not had a good experience with Crate/Ampeg (apparently they are the same company). I would take the refund and run, especially since their repair places can be out of the way... by a good bit.

3. Yeh it's a shame. But I think I may have to. I do like the Ampeg sound tho... thinking of mayb getting a used SVP (SVT preamp) and finding a good power amp. Or something... sheesh I definitley didn't expect these troubles.

-Jon

4. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    There were some difinite output problems with the 7pro I tried @ NAMM~ I thought it was just a pre production fluke, but who knows.

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    LOL................ they are the same company........... HAW HAW HAW....... They are both Loud Technologies brands (since SLM got sold to Loud). Loud also does Mackie, and EAW, etc.

I thought they gave up on Crate..... they didn't ask for a single new model for a year after buying SLM.......

I was pretty involved with the 8PRO, which Loud didn't want to pursue after teh initial production, and I assumed that the 7PRO would have been based on information learned from teh 8PRO..... as far as potential problems etc.....

I have not seen the schematic for the 7 PRO, I might get the chance if they ever release it to repair outfits, but I'll be interested to see what they did....

Too bad if they are having problems........ the 7PRO seemed like a no-brainer good product

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    hmm, two in a row, with the second one failing immediately?

I'd look at your cables and cabinets. something may be shorting, which would make any amp shut down.

7. Good pointer walterw. The weird thing is for about 25 minutes everything was fine. Keep in mind this was living room level, testing-out volume. Then suddenly the amp shuts down. This happened a couple times, but would power back up after I switched it off and on. Then later today I cannot get the 7PRO to turn on AT ALL... it switches on for a sec and automatically switches off. No problems with hooking up my Acoustic 200H to my Ampeg 410hlf. Mayb it's just with the speakon connections...?

-Jon

8. For anyone who is curious, I just ran a few quick tests to this supposed second dud Ampeg 7PRO.
    1) First tried turning on the amplifier w/o any connection to speaker --- FAILED
    2) Tried using a 1/4" speaker cable to connect to my 410hlf --- FAILED
    3) Tried using a 1/4" speaker cable to connect to my Acoustic 115 --- FAILED

W/o testing out a third unit, I would have to say there is some kind of flaw in these 7PRO's... atleast the batch that AMS has. IMHO

-Jon

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Seems like it.

10. Andrew311

Andrew311

Aug 13, 2009
    Hutchinson, MN
    In my experience, they're not only out of the way, but very time consuming. I had a 4-Pro at a warranty repair guy a while back and it sat on a shelf for a month waiting for LOUD to get back to him about ordering the parts. I got sick of waiting and sold it broken.

11. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Loud doesn't have much interest in servicing older US made warranty units........ apparently.

I have heard stories about the newer units as well, but repair problems with chinese made products in general is normal. The US company normally has no access to the components, and is usually limited to replacing complete boards, and they NEVER buy enough of them to support the product.

Loud also have destroyed or disposed of much of their old Ampeg parts stock...... $100,000.00 or more of parts were destroyed/scrapped from the Yellville plant when Loud closed it.

LS Electronics in St Louis may have the best supply of Ampeg parts for older units. They bought much of the stock that Loud disposed of.

12. larrison

larrison Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Texas
    I had a Pro 7 here recently comparing it with another amp. While playing in a band setting, it cut out on me a few times. I liked the signature Ampeg tone coming from it but ultimately it wasn't meant be...

13. Did you use your onboard compressor? I think that's the key. Clippings make the class d poweramps stop working. This is a fact, not mere a statement.