Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it just me or do 1 piece necks seem to be asking for trouble?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Feb 2, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    The only twisted necks I have seen were 1 piece. Look at all the problems with the old Fenders. What is the advantage to building them that way? I have never done it.

2. I have a warwick 4 piece neck that is twisted. And it's not that old, probably less than 10 yrs. I believe 1 piece are more prone to twisting, but in my opinion the quality of the wood has more to do with it than the number of laminations. I have seen some very good 60's fender necks that are in perfect condition.

Also, the fingerboard can exhert some twisting tendencies to the neck.

3. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Yeah. If you use high-quality quartersawn maple for a one-piece neck, and provided other conditions are right (rod, headstock, etc.), that neck should be straight for many years.

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    "Yeah. If you use high-quality quartersawn maple for a one-piece neck, and provided other conditions are right (rod, headstock, etc.), that neck should be straight for many years."

It seems Stew-mac is selling flat sawn. :eyebrow:
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Bass_guitar:_Necks/Bass_Neck_Blanks.html

As for the 60's Fender neck yes I have a '66 J that is fine but I wonder what % of 60's J's are still fine. I tust seems like it would be "safer to go with a multi laminate approach..t

5. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    dont MTD's come in 1-piece wenge necks?

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Yes the one I worked on did come to think of it.....Another Central Fl. person? How many of us are there? :confused:

7. A bunch of us are in the greater Orlando area, Gard, Steve O, Grasshopper, Cassanova down in Tampa area, and another 5 or 7 whose usernames I can't remember(crs).

My 32yr old Ripper has a quarter sawn maple neck that is just like new. As Doug and Billy at The Guitar Factory say, "it must have been made from a happy tree"

John

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    The advantage of a one-piece is that you don't need to laminate it. Simpler, faster.
    On the con side is that you need to be more considerate of the wood. It must be well seasoned before planing and shaping.

The laminate neck is slightly less sensitive to the dryness of the wood, parallel laminates a trifle less than ortogonal.

But the difference in dryness demands are pretty minimal.

A laminate neck may be more stiffness/money effective, since you can add some ovangkol to stiffen up the maple or w/e. Which is the great advantage of the laminate solution. Some would speak of aestetix, as well...

9. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    There are a lot of us! I didn't think gard and grasshopper were on the board.....I mostly hang out in this forum though. As for using 1 piece hard Maple I have a very tough time finding it. I wnet to the woodcrafters store just about next door to Bass Central and went through every piece of hard maple they had. What a bunch of twisted cupped warped wood that was. I did find 1 piece that wasn't too bad and brought it home. I am letting it sit for a bit before I use it though. It is far easier for me to find Cherry or Mahogany that is is good shape. I don't know if it is just my location or is good quality hard maple just hard to find?

10. Talk to Larry!
    I bought a great quartersawn curly maple neck from him a couple of months ago. very well seasoned and, in my VERY VERY VERY dry room it has not moved a bit, even after shaping. the fun part? it was enough wood to build 2 necks!