Is it just me or do drummers and guitarists not know what 'slow' means?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Sep 27, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    I keep listening to my drummer and guitarist make songs and the tempo is always fast. I try to tell them things like 'less is more' and 'try using less chords and slowing down' but they just don't listen.

Why are they so darn stubborn? Who implied it was a necesity to play fast and act like a prodigy of their instruments? Does anyone else have to deal with the problem of stubborn drummers and guitarists who just try to cram so much into one song and all it comes out like is horse crap?
  2. Not quite the same issue, Stru', but our ex drummer certainly didn't know what slow or fast meant: he'd apply both tempos in the same song :eek: :eek:

Rushed fills were also a favourite passtime of his so that the percussion would be at the start of the next bar just slightly before everyone else....most unsettling.....Particularly for the audience, I guess. Then again just for some variety, perhaps, the fills would be slightly slow.

Many drummers, IMHO, seem to get carried away with just hitting the kit so that their job - keeping the time - goes out of the window.

I stormed out of one rehersal some time ago for that very reason. On some occasions the drummer has apologised to the guitarist (who's good on the fast - slow business) for his timekeeping, explaining that he couldn't hear the bass very well. Guitarist politely [and sometimes not so ploitely] explained that time keeping is not the bassist's job, but the drummer's.

An interesting side issue of that is that I learned to be quite bad at keeping time to knit with the drummer. Now we've got a really good drummer I find it difficult to play at a steady pace.

3. Many young drummers have trouble with slower tempos because it really exposes their time issues, if they have them (if they don't have them, they usually don't have problems with slower tempos).

Your drummer needs to get back to basics. Suggest that they listen to some Beatles (Ringo was great at slower tempos as well as not over-playing), Led Zepplin (Bonham's heavy feel on their slower stuff is great, lots of space), and some country ballads (the Nashville studio drummers are the kings of tastful, slow playing). Also suggest that you drummer record themselves at rehearsal, the tape doesn't lie, it's brutally honest.
  4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Yeah, some guitarists are like that. I come up with a slow, grooving bass line and the guitarist makes it into some fast palm-muted thrashy thing. I assume they grow out of it at some point.
  5. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    I play alot of slow stuff..:confused: :D