Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is It just Me or do L-2000/2500s sound like Ken Smths when slapped?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    For a while I owned a Tribute and I thought it sounded like my old Ken Smith bolt on when I slapped it with both pickups on. That was especially true when I ran it with both pups with the preamp on. I played a really sweet older L-2000 today and the Ken Smith similarity was even stronger. Does anyone else hear the similarity?

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    No, but that's groovy. I own an L2K

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've got both a BSR5 and an L2500. When slapped, the G&L has a more out-front midrange sound over the Smith, and it sounds more 'metallicky'.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I went back and compared the slap tone on that bass to the tone on a Cirrus. The Cirrus has electronics and a laminated neck that give it the modern tone similar to that of a Ken Smith and I could definitely hear the difference between it and the G&L. The G&L still sounded more "modern" than my Fender except when the neck pickup was soloed. That neck pup is pure P-bass.

I am considering getting this bass but frankly when i compared to my Jazz (MIM), I wasn't blown away. The G&L is clearly better made and has more output, but the Fender has that Jazz sound and the necks play the same. The G&L is more versatile and the price is right so I might switch. Time will tell.