1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is It just Me or do L-2000/2500s sound like Ken Smths when slapped?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    For a while I owned a Tribute and I thought it sounded like my old Ken Smith bolt on when I slapped it with both pickups on. That was especially true when I ran it with both pups with the preamp on. I played a really sweet older L-2000 today and the Ken Smith similarity was even stronger. Does anyone else hear the similarity?

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    No, but that's groovy. I own an L2K

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've got both a BSR5 and an L2500. When slapped, the G&L has a more out-front midrange sound over the Smith, and it sounds more 'metallicky'.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I went back and compared the slap tone on that bass to the tone on a Cirrus. The Cirrus has electronics and a laminated neck that give it the modern tone similar to that of a Ken Smith and I could definitely hear the difference between it and the G&L. The G&L still sounded more "modern" than my Fender except when the neck pickup was soloed. That neck pup is pure P-bass.

I am considering getting this bass but frankly when i compared to my Jazz (MIM), I wasn't blown away. The G&L is clearly better made and has more output, but the Fender has that Jazz sound and the necks play the same. The G&L is more versatile and the price is right so I might switch. Time will tell.