Is it just me or do Rotosound Swing Bass strings have really low tension?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Dec 28, 2005.

1. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I recently switched to Rotosound Swing Bass strings again and while I really love their sound, I noticed that I have to have my truss rod pretty much tightened all the way to make the neck look "healthy" (not too much concave bow) and to make sure the strings don't feel too flabby and clanky when I'm plucking near the neck pickup. I also had to raise my action a bit so there's no buzz high up the neck on the A and D strings. :/

Does anyone else feel this way or do I simlpy suck at setting up my bass? Also, are there any tighter strings with a similar sound? Thanks a lot in advance.
  2. I have Rotosound flats, and the tension is actually above normal. I don't know what to tell you. You probably got a really light gauge like 35-90 or something
  3. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Nope, the Rotos I bought are medium gauge (45 - 130). I read that flatwounds tend to have higher tension than stainless steels, though. Seems to be true, though, a guy I used to know was a huge fan of flats and his bass' strings felt pretty tight the few times I noodled around on it.
    It's pretty weird, the (relatively crappy) strings I was using before didn't give me this problem, they sounded really lifeless but the tension felt fine.
    Perhaps it's time for me to go back to Nickels, I hear those tend to have higher tension.
  4. If they are brand new you probably have to break them in a little?
  5. I got the slightly thinner than standard ones (40-100) and they're not very tight - but isn't that why you can get thinner strings?
  6. cdb

Jan 12, 2004
    phila, pa area
    I have not ever noticed any differences in tension between Rotos and other brands. I have used stainless round roto sets for about 20 years.
  7. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    45-130 here too swing bass long scale, just right to me

they do tend to beat up your frets a bit, but I'm not sure if thats due to tension or not, but the feel is great
  8. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    I use rotosound swing bass strings exclusively... and You do have to break them in... otherwise they feel sloppy and harsh. I usually put them on and play them hard for about a week... not caring about it being incredily out of tune.. then I tune her up.. and the strings are perfect... IMHO the strings start sounding really good after 2 or 3 months.
  9. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    It's okay now, the buzz at the upper end of the fretboard is gone and I was able to lower the action a bit. I guess I sometimes forget that wood necks need a day or so to adapt to the truss rod setting, even if they are graphite-reinforced.