1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it just me or does Austin City Limits Suck these days?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Steve, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Man, I used to love that show but I can't remember when the last time was I saw anything cool.

It's gone from avant gard cool to just *** is that?

I must be getting too old

2. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I havn't seen Austin City Limits in a loooong time. All I can say about them is this. ACL introduced me to SRV. I was in a HUGE rap/breakdance thing back in the day, (a kid). Then I saw Stevie wailing away and thought, that's enough of rap. I think I got my first guitar not to long after for X-mas.

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    ACL is merely a mirror of the sorry state of what passes for "mu-sick" these days. The music industry is a business, for profit, and a giant propoganda machine. They are "dumbing-down" the American populace so they can put one of their own in a certain white house on Pennsylvania Avenue! LOL...

4. I feel the same way.

I used to tune in just to see a new blues act or whatever was on. It even open me up to country music (not pop country), I'm not particularly into country music but the musicianship was top notch. Now it's just crap,.. to my ears anyway. I guess they're just trying to bring in a younger audience.

You sould check out their other programs. Soundstage is pretty good, they show some great concerts. I watched Stevie Winwood last night. If you're into Jazz Ramsey Lewis has a new program called Legends of Jazz that just started.

5. I don't watch it but looking at the schedule online I see the Flaming Lips, the Shins, Rilo Kiley, Ben Folds, and Spoon. That's freaking awesome!

6. zipflint

zipflint

Sep 25, 2005
    Spartanburg, SC
    I know they're nothing spectacular, but I enjoyed seeing My Morning Jacket on there a few weeks back.

7. I randomly discovered this show for the first time last night and saw a breathtaking Flaming Lips performance. Needless tosay, I'm a fan now!

8. yeah, i remember seeing some cool names there, like phish, John Mayer with Double Trouble and buddy Guy, and its also where i got introduced to String Cheese Incident, but now they seem to be playing some of the more obscure garage band sounding music, and i believe its even gotten to the point that my local PBS doesn't show it anymore...i am kinda mad because i found that out the hard way when i was all psyched to see Trey Anastasio play a few months back...oh well, back to Red Green :)

9. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Funny this post should come up. After my gig last night I watched the hockey game I recorded and then did a little channel surfing and landed on ACL and saw The Shins.
    Great band with a cool sound. I might have to go out and get some of their stuff.

10. yeah, i'm a fan of their song "saint simon" it has a nice sound