1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it just me or ... (Music Man Sterling question)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, Mar 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Is it just me or is there a plethora, a dearth, a pant load of Music Man Sterlings for sale on the boards lately. Not the Sterling by Music Man mind ye, but real deal Sterlings. I just bought one for my 90s project and I love it. But wondering why all of the sudden people are dumping them. Do they cause cancer? Are you a communist if you use one? (I am being silly, so really, no Spam please). But seriously, it seems like it is Sterlings' time in the barrel.

2. A dearth is a lack of something, not an abundance.

Herrick, stacker, MMiller28 and 22 others like this.
  3. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Dammitt! I'll just stick with plethora ...

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Once I got my first Dingwall, pretty much everything else sat unplayed. A lot of the other stuff has been sold except my Sterling and my fretless Bongo. I don't play the Sterling anymore and constantly debate whether or not to sell it, but I have a bit of emotional tie to it. They're decent basses - I prefer them over Stingrays - just don't really "do it" for me any longer.

jebmd likes this.
  5. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    Had a Sterling...Loved it in the store...Even had a custom paint job on it!

Never sat in the mix for me when playing with the band and ended up selling it. (Also thought I would get used to the neck which, while it was not difficult to play, never felt comfortable to me.)

p0werslav3 and Billybladez66 like this.
  6. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    I loved my Sterling HH. I sold it because I never played it. Those hot HHbuckers just didn't fit into any music I was playing at the time.

ptg likes this.
  7. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    I found the neck too small at the nut for me.

steamthief, adivin and ptg like this.
  8. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Tried a few Sterlings. Nice basses. But couldn't figure out what I'd ever use one for. They were a little too "in yo' face bruh!" whenever I played them.

I don't know if that was just me, or more just the way they are.

9. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    The HH could be in yo face, bruh or really fat and smooth, but fat like an active double bucker. I prefer them fat and round like James Brown, meaning a J bass.

Fletz likes this.
  10. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    It is hard to find the set in the mix but to me it's incredibly comfortable to play. Sits right, neck is a joy but it's ballsy but not thumpy enough sometimes.

TMARK likes this.
  11. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    These things seem to run in cycles. My Sterling 5 is my favorite neck of any bass I currrently own. But, my current bands are both better served by a P bass sound. So I'm playing a 6-string P and my Sterling is benched - for now. No way I could ever see selling it. I always want my arsenal to have a P, a J, and a StingRay or Sterling - which is pretty much where I'm at right now.

12. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    The Sterlings are great basses! I love mine.. If I had the money I'd snag several that are for sale currently.. Why are there so many for sale as of late? The cynic in me thinks that part of the reason is that people are trying to capitalize on the company's decision to discontinue many of their color options.

13. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    I used to have one, and it was a great bass. I loved the aggressiveness of it, it was great for rock. I found it very easy to fit into a mix in several different ways. I just traded it cause I prefer passive basses and I got a good deal with it in part trade to a guy for a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Jr 3/4 scale guitar. I would highly recommend a Sterling to anyone.

blindrabbit and TMARK like this.
  14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Well, if a lot of them are for sale, a lot of people must be buying them because I see people playing them in bars, clubs, on TV, and on the internet they're all over the place.
    If anyone thinks they're out of favor, I'd have to disagree.
    We still have many years of Fender/Squier vs Musicman/Sterling ahead of us.
    Come to think of it, someone posted the very same question about Fender Jazz basses being sold in the classifieds about a month ago.

P. Aaron and Mystic Michael like this.
  15. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I really don't know but I'll offer this. My Nephew bought a Sterling SUB. Put a Nordy Big Man and Aggie OBP3 in it and with a good set up that Bass is slamming. Think about the cost spread over time for a working Musician and the end result. No need to buy the Sterling Ray :)

16. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Fender jazz abundance just makes sense because of the abundance of fender jazzes in general.

SpitfireCWII likes this.
  17. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Stillwater, New Jersey

I don't know but I love my Sterling 4H so much I just bought a 4HH. The 4HH was to replace the 4H but I just may decide to keep them both. The necks are magical.

Nomogram and Fletz like this.
  18. ofajen

ofajen

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    There do seem to be a lot for sale. And you are possibly noticing them more, now that you've had one?

Otto

Double E likes this.
  19. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Something tells me if you bought a Sterling in California they would probably tell you it does cause cancer.

;) :D

P. Aaron, 1954bassman, BradH and 2 others like this.
  20. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I have one that i bought in 1995. I feel like it's kind of a nineties bass.