1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it just me or the is it the # 8 neck?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Bassmore, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Bassmore

Bassmore Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Virginia
    To those who love their # 8's,

I finally was able to lay my hands on and try out a G&L ( MIA ASAT) that had a #8 neck. :hyper: Although I did not block enough time :mad: to play very long and get into checking out the plethora of tonal variations (there's always a next time and I will bring the knob/switch diagram with me :D); I did notice something that is hit or miss with me on basses and wondered if anyone else has experienced it. When doing pull-offs on the G String, say a quad, meaning quickly... open, 2nd, 3rd fret, (pull off) to open. On my release (3rd fret) it tends to catch the fret edge, thus not a clean pull off but a rather noisey rattley one. :scowl: I do the same pull offs with my MIM Fender Jazz Deluxe (1.5" nut) and my other basses and don't recall having issues with my pulls offs on my G with any of them although I have experienced it when trying out some other basses. :rollno: Have any of you experienced this on your # 8's? Is it simply that my left hand technique is too agreessive on the pull :hyper: :bassist: and I need to work on tempering something and try to adapt more to the instrument? :( Or eventhough I'd love to have the #8 Jazz-like neck (1.5" nut) on my future Dream L2K do you think it may be best for me to bump it up to the # 10 (1.75" at nut) which hopefully will allow more fret and fretboard under the G string allowing me more pulling freedom? :cool: Any opinions/feedback on this would be most helpful.

Thanks again,

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    There are many factors that might affect that- string tension, neck relief, action, whether the saddle lock screw is engaged (pushing the bridge saddles farther towards the E string), how well the nut was cut and aligned, etc.... I know its never been an issue for me on my SB-2 with the 1.5" nut width...The biggest difference I have found neckwise between my SB-2 and an MIM Jazz that my housemate owns is that the Fender neck is much thicker front to back.

Karl

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Every bass is a little different and you have to adjust your technique to the bass and the difference in the type of strings. Also, the #10 neck is for 5 strings (L2500). You'd want the #7 is you want the same radius.

A fender has a different radius than the G&L (I believe Fender is 9.5 and the #8 is a 12" radius, #6 is 7.5" radius).

4. Bassmore

Nov 2, 2007
    Virginia
    Freddels and Sunbeast,

Thanks for the excellent advice. Other than the "adapt my technique" approach, I thought later that it may be string related not knowing what make and string sizes G&L ships their basses with. I have Fender Flats on my MIM Jazz and my guess is the G string on my Jazz may be gauged a bit heavier. Sunbeasts suggestions would make a lot of sense. The Dealer I went to was good enough to share with me that the G&L's had arrived relatively recently and that they (the dealers shop) are maticulous about making sure that they maintain the store temp at 72 degrees with humidity at 50% (I think he said), they also have a large repair section. All that said, he mentioned that he had not yet been able to do the proper check and set up on his G&L's yet because he actually lets the instruments "Acclimate" for two weeks first, that way his folks aren't having to do it twice due to all the temp changes, etc. that occur during shipping especially during the winter. So Sunbeast, I think you may have the hit the "nails" on the head and rather than make a quick change of heart on the neck type I desire most, I think I'll give things some time, get with the dealer and wait until they have a chance to really due a proper set up. The saddle lock is a very good point that never would have occured to me (I know it's a G&L thing, I'm still learning). I think all of that combined with my finding out what the strings are currently sized at may get me there.

By the way, does anyone know what strings G&L ships with these days and what they are sized at?

I've been chasing a classic early 70's P-Bass bass tone lately (Croce, Cats in the Cradle, Doobies, Chicago, Early Springsteen with E Street Band, etc.) I'm thinking flats will be a must but not sure what tonal settings on the L2K would be best. It would be awesome if I could peg that type of tone on the L2K but I'm clueless as to properly tweak all the tonal seetings. Any suggestions?

Thanks again all, very helpful

5. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    The P bass sound that I hear in my head I get with my ASAT (same as L2K) with neck pickup, serial (that's the middle switch flipped toward the neck), passive, tone knob about off and some bass boosted. The tone and bass settings depend on the amp and cab. Also, I have TI flats on it.

6. Bassmore

Nov 2, 2007
    Virginia
    Freddels,

Thanks much again. I'll keep this thread handy for future reference as I delve into all the tonal options. I actually went back again today and got pretty close on my own ("P-tone dail in) but the ASAT available to me had the usual stock round wounds on it and that tends to throw me a little while I'm "P tone searching". I was doing a side by side comparison with a very nice 74 P and I think they thought I was whack... not the first time...oh well. Looks like they'll get to see me yet again, huh? Back to the "pull off issues", the good man at the dealer also recommended "woodshedding" a bit when I get the bass if the same thing occurs with my pull offs so I think his and your advice is the way to go.

I was wondering if you might have an opinion on the tight radius necks, say G&L # 5 or 6 with the 7.5" radius, I tried another older P that had the 7.25" radius and really liked the feel but are there any drawbacks (limited future playability gotchya's) that I might need to be aware of? Sure seems a lot more natural feeling, I have medium length fingers I guess.

Thanks again,

7. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have no experience with the other necks. I have 3 G&L's and all 3 have #8 necks. You might want to check out the SB-2. It's passive aggressive!

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm not sure on the G&L neck numbers but some are J profile, some are P. Some are flatter radius, some rounder. So you probably want the J profile, rounder radius - whichever that number is 6? 8 ?

the issue you're having with pull off's may indicate
    1. a bit of fret sprout or maybe a slightly high fret.

2. maybe a badly spaced nut. If the G is riding too close to the neck edge, it's easy to roll it off the side.

Any half competent luthier would find those easy issues to correct. The technique / woodshedding comment - hell, that's never a bad idea.

Far as the basses - I would prefer an L 2K to either the SB-2 or Asat. The L2K in passive mode will do a good P. The SB-2 won't really do a classic P-Bass very well. It's a great bass, but it's way 'hotter' than a standard P.

9. Well, I'm just coming back from trying a few L2000, both with what I believe to be a #7 neck, and found the placement of the G string very weird. It's parallel to the fretboard, but way way too close to the edge for comfort, while the E string is very far from the top edge of the fretboard. Probably the reason behind the OP complaint.

I had noticed this before on my teacher's Lb-100, but thought it was a fluke. Now it's 3 bass with this weird nut/bridge placement.

Seems to be standard setup for G&L (from my limited experience playing only 3 G&L bass); what would be the rational behind this?

10. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Strange. I have three L2000 Tributes and none of them are like that. The E & G string placement is 'normal' on all of them.

11. Well, I haven't tried the Tribute model, Only American L2000 and Lb-100, so maybe the Tributes are different. And maybe still is a fluke, but that would be 3 in a row + the OP...

12. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Roll a bit off volume off of the splitter, and it does classic P a lot closer than the L2K.

In general, I think the G&L MFD's are so hot, the first thing you've got to do when trying to nail the sound of another type of bass, is to roll off a bit of volume.

Ljazz

13. I don't even know what they are, but I've played te basses you have described

14. dogbass

dogbass Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Okey dokey then....... ? :confused:

15. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    AFAIK, all G&L's come with D'addario EXL's these days. I think they are 165's.