Is it just me or...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Jun 7, 2003.

1. The stingray a new found hardcore tool? I have seen at least 5 pictures of bassist from hardcore bands using stingrays. The ones I can remeber are Dillinger Escape Plan, and candiria. What is the fate of the stingray coming too?
  2. No, its not just you, but why would hardcore bands using stingrays be a bad thing? Does this mean that only hardcore bands can use them? Do you hate hardcore bands and just want to start something with somebody who likes hardcore bands(not trying to be rude, just wondering)? I think that whatever sounds best is the right bass to use. If stingrays sound good in hardcore than the use of them within the genre is fine with me.
  3. a lot of the emo/pop-punk bands use stingrays as well. (nfg, etc.) it has no bearing on the quality of stingrays. stingrays are just trendy for bands these days.
  4. Emo and pop-punk are the same?:confused:
  5. no, i was just putting them together, because my statement applied to them both. kinda. sorta. i'm confrused.:confused:
  6. lol

there's nothing wrong with bass trends, better for me to keep seeing Musicmans in those bands cuz I use a G&L........:p
  7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I see Stingrays show up in all sorts of music styles. Maybe they are more versatile than you'd think. I used to own one ages ago (still kicking myself for selling it) and now they are just way overpriced in my part of the world. Would be nice to have one again though, must be the most comfortable bass I've played, it fit my body and hands perfectly.
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    stingrays have a very lively sound that's useful for cutting through heavy guitars. that's a good thing.
  9. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north

What has a very lively sound and is useful for
    cutting through heavy guitars?

A: A Stingray

B: A Conklin

C: A chain saw

10. Heh, I bet you could get a sweet tone out of a chainsaw if you used the right octane of gas. But I wasn't really saying it is a bad thing that hardcore bands use them, I was just pointing out what I saw.
  11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Where have you been?

The StringRay has been in metal bands ever since I can remember.

What kind of music would you expect a bass that sounds like ass to play?
  12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Who was that 80's hair band that had the chainsaw?
  13. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Originally posted by PollyBass:
    What kind of music would you expect a bass that sounds like ass to play?

I think you forgot to add the "IMO".

"IMHO" would be a bit much to hope for I guess. ;) :p
  14. Do you mean Jackyl, or was there actually someone else as well? I think they were more of an early '90s mullet band than a true hair band... :p
  15. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    SORRY, I forgot the darn ;).

I have the stringray copy, the ATK. It sounds even MORE like ass to me.

And YES! it was jackyl!!!

16. I guess the supply of Gibson Grabbers and Rippers is running low then?

(They don't make them any more, do they?)

And anyway, what would prefer they use? Squier P-basses? Conklin GT7s?

17. FYI...

Ian(NFG) usually uses a Fender P

EDIT- I think:-/
  18. i've watched nfg videos (against my sucked) and he used a 'ray.

19. which video?
  20. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm not sure what to make of what you're saying. Are you saying that Hardcore, as a whole, is not sophisticated enough to have a good instrument? Dillenger is one band that is extremely talented and into their sound. If the bass player feels that a Stingray will get him the sound that will cut through the best, then so be it. It's BS to think that their should be rules on what bass one should play based on a syle of music. And by the way, NFG is far from Hardcore.