Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rumblejohn, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Is it just me, or were the Grammies a little off this year? Sound problems with Celine, and it didn't seem like anyone else had there heart in their performances. I just left and came here.

John

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I believe his name is spelled "Itzhak". The violinist right?

Anyhow, I didn't watch the Grammys. I have grown tired of the self-adulation that entertainment types heap on themselves. It's either the Tony's, or Peoples Choice, or Grammys, or Oscars, Screen Actors Awards, Video Awards, the proliferation of "Lifetime Achievement" awards to someone who really should've got it a prior year, but a lamer act got it that year, so "we're makin' up for it now before you die". And last but not least, the award shows that award the entertainers who don't win on the other more "meaningful" award shows.
    No, I don't watch any of those. I do like CSI, but I don't care if any of those actors win anything.

3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    There did seem to be some difficulties on the tech end of the show, but, the Funk segment was the best performance I have seen on the Grammies. Earth, Wind, and Fire, Outkast, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, AND Parliment/Funkadelic?!?! Amazing!!

I was really looking forward to Robert Randolph and the Family Band, and man, they tore it up! Danyel Morgan is a monster bassist. Robert Randolph is pretty good himself. ;) :)

4. I believe that his name is pronounced "Itzhak" but I have seen it in print both ways. Yes, he is the world renound violinist, quoted after breaking a string, and finishing his recital very well at the age of 80 something.

5. that funk medley was just toooooooooo sweet. good stuff. i didnt see any of the rest.

the dude from the family band was ripping AND singing like a girl at the same time...
    now thats talent! :D

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    who was the bass player for alicia keys? i could have sworn it was marcus miller. looked like his jazz with the ashtrays and he was wearing a little hat like marcus.

??

7. that outkast performance just now was great (hey yah)

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I usually sit out the Grammies, but I was tipped off that Prince was opening, Outkast would perform, Earth Wind & Fire would perform, and Marcus Miller would play during the Luther Vandross tribute.

Beyonce's performance with Prince was nice.

The Luther Vandross tribute was well done, with the exception of the aforementioned sound problems when Celine Dion was singing what eventually won Song of the Year. Wonder who got fired over that?!

Seeing Maurice White on stage with EWF almost brought tears to my eyes. The fact that they didn't make a big deal of it was pure class.

Parliament coulda left the singers and Sir Nose at home, but otherwise, they were on jam! Bootzilla's here!!

The guy playing the Modulus 6er with Robert Randolph and the Family Band was showing some decent chops while singing a falsetto. Talk about gutsy!

Timberlake's performance was nice.

Loved the Black Eyed Peas (always do) and both Outkast performances. I love watching the big guys dance on "I Like The Way..." Simple steps, but they make them look really cool.

I don't get White Stripes. Oh well.

Chick Corea was awesome with the Foo Fighters.

Best Grammy live performances I've seen since certain white gloved moonwalkers were on top of their game.

Peace,

James

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, don't forget the "Golden Globes", whose title is very misleading. ;)

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I endorse this great review :cool:

although the Corea - Foo Fighters thing was pretty pointless, it sounded like the same rock song with a piano on the background (the intro was the only different thing)

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I liked that Chick obviously didn't know the song and the guitar player (Dave?) was telling him the changes at the beginning. Chick still killed. :cool:

And I dug Warren Zevon winning post-mortem.

12. The funk parts were great! Did I see Bootsy near the end??

13. yup

he was rocking the 5 p-up star bass :D

14. Prince's opener was fantastic.

Sara McLachlan was cute as a button, and would've sounded better with proper monitoring and doing her own piano work (sound / technical problems poisoned most of the show, not just Sara & Celine). :meh:

Justin Timberlake's song on the Rhodes gives me hope for modern music. Nice. :cool:

EDIT: Martina McBride - ashamed that I forgot, but her performance sent chills up my spine. She sings with a passion and voice that is uncommon these days. :)

Other than that.... (((yawn)))

Music of today ain't what it used to be, ain't what it should be. :meh:

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    The funny thing about this is I know nothing of the Foo Fighters. Wouldn't recognize 'em if I was in line with 'em at Starbucks and couldn't tell you a thing they've ever made. My wife and I both commented at the same time that the piano was uncharacteristically out front in the mix, and from that point on, that was all we really heard. Chick on the piano with some other stuff going on around him. Since I didn't recognize the song, it was easy to tune it out and just dig on Chick.

Peace,

James

16. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Pure poo! Me and my band practiced for 6 hours and went to the bar for last call!

17. He had a Modulus sixer too :help: Sounds nice!

18. I didn't like the grammy's.Is it me,or did Justin Timberlake "guest star" in like every performance? I was waiting for him to come out of the "Hey Ya" Tent. :rolleyes:

19. That's coz the transmission was delayed 5 mins.. kind of hard to sing if you hear your voice 5 mins later :smug: