Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    Is it just me? But I really hate big basses!
    for example the fender p-bass, jazz basses. Things like that. I much prefer the smaller basses like Sam Rivers and Fieldy uses.
    Can someone else pleeease back me up on this? If not, I will sit my &$$ down ans shut up.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well it could be the case that they are both pretty "large" ;) guys, so that their basses look small in comparison; whereas if you are 13 and quite small - any bass is going to seem too big to you.

I must say that personally, the basses with very small bodies that I have tried - like Steinberger and some of the Bass Collection series - have felt "unbalanced" to me - not enought to hold on to. I think the problem with small bodies is that you get "neck diving" and this can make the bass very uncomfortable to play with a strap.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Fenders aren't big (unless you're small;))
    Most people would consider them average sized. If you want to see a big bass, grab a Thunderbird or Alembic longscale Series I or II or a 35" or 36" scale bass ... or this 34" scale bass:

4. if fieldy play a 34" ibanez and fenders are 34"...theyre the same. (im not sure about fieldy, i don't pay much attention to that schmuck)
    yes, i said schmuck
  5. I like the Fenders. Anything smaller would look really odd on me.
  6. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    It's just you. :D

Maybe you should check out an Ashbory?

Seriously I think it's just what you're used to playing. My Fenders feel "normal" to me while my Starfire feels "huge" even though its short scale, the semi-hollow body is very large. My EB-O feels like a guitar because its so small.
  7. rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    I agree with you, man. I don't like huge body'd basses either. Of course, I'd play one I guess, but I think small bodies (Warwicks, soundgears, etc.) look better, unlike a Fender Jazz bass which could double as an emergency snowboard in a alpine evacuation. However, bigger is usually better when it comes to bass tone...the bigger the body, the better the tone. I bet that HUGE Smith seven of Brad's sounds pretty killer.
  8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yo, rmp5s, that's not a Smith 7, it's a Surine 7. But you're right, it's plenty big! :D
  9. rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    Da*n...thought it was a Smith. My bad...:)
  10. Hey Fishbrain,I know how you feel.Recently I purchased a Dean Razor.It is one of the lightest basses I've ever owned.I'm not a big or husky person,so some basses feel like anchors around my skinny lanky Asian shoulders.In fact,I'm probably going to trade in my StingRay.As I've gotten older I've noticed it's becoming more difficult to practice standing up with that monster.So....I must say YOU are not alone.
  11. I love the Fender size basses. I dont really like Ibanez soundgears. I dont think that they are any smaller than my fenders, but maybe thats just me. All I know is that my fender Delux V is even heavy for me, and I am not that small of a guy. It is just a solid bass that sounds pretty good. I just can't get into the Curt Corbows, because they just seem kind of hard to play sitting down. I do like the sound of them, and the cost, if only the body was a bit bigger. Fieldy is a pretty big guy, and as far as I am concerned would make a lot of basses look small.
  12. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    As a little guy, I too dislike large instruments. Not because they are inherently ugly, but because I look ridiculous wearing one. A Pedulla Thunderbass is probably about the largest thing I can wear without becoming an aesthetic embarrasment.
  13. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    i must say, i look so d@mned sexy whilst playing my black SR885 :D even when i'm not playing it!! i'm just too d@mned sexy!!! :D jumph-Bahk! Iwanna Kees mah bad sef!! :D

all kidding aside; i too like smallish basses - SR, Spectors, warwicks (mostly the streamer)
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Anybody remember Robert "Kool" Bell when he had his Alembic?
  15. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I believe that Fishbrain is refering to the body size and not just the scale. When talking about body size Ibanezes (Ibanezes help me out here) and Fenders are like apples and oranges.
  16. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Well no one is as pogi as you, buuuudy! :) I would guess that a bigger bass would get in the way of your moves. :p

I like my full size basses... After playing my peavey milestone, my Orlando 3/4 size violin bass feels kinda like a toy. I love it's sound but I think I am outgrowing it's feel.
  17. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    Even though I am only 13, I'm not small. I'm about 5 11 and broad shoulders because of the rugby that my lame skool makes me play :(.
    I'm talkin about the body size not the neck, I just think they look silly. Not when there on me or anyone else just even when they're on a stand.
  18. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    you did say you were only 13 right.look's silly on the stand.OOOTAY.
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

20. In my opinion, the bigger the better! But of course it's all a matter of personal taste, so there's no reason to sit down and shut up!