Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it just me???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mark beem, May 13, 2003.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I find that I'm more comfortable playing in odd time signatures than say standard 4/4.....

Anyone else?? If so, why do you think that is??

2. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    Depends completely on the song, some stuff in 4/4 can be very tricky rhythmically and some is not. This goes with any time signature. It completely depends on the situation.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    well, I am like that NOW, after alot of odd time practice,,,,

Maybe becuase it's a simple "repeat" pattern,,,,like, if your playing something in five it could be like

ONE two THREE four FIVE ONE two THREE four FIVE ONE two etc etc....

Maybe some peoples brains are more "Comfortable" with this type of count then a 4/4 one???

Like a wrap around instead of an ending.

4. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    So you don't gig much then?;)

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    "So you don't gig much then?"

funny...

In all seriousness though I find that some compound meters propel me and the music a little differently, in a way that I really enjoy.

I gig all the time and we play stuff in all kinds of meters. Of course we play plenty of straight time stuff as well.

6. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    LOL!!!! Yeah, actually I do.... Ive noticed over the years though that it's actually easier for me to write an interesting (to me) bass line in say 7/8 or similar meter.

Oddly enough, getting something interesting (again to me) written in a standard 4/4 metered song is like pulling teeth!!! Those situations I find myself actually more challenged.....

I wonder if the fact that when I started playing I always played to Rush, Kansas, Yes, and similar bands?? :meh:

7. Ouch, ConU!
    Tool seems to be pretty busy, so there is a demand of sorts for it.

I don't think I have trouble playing it, but it does play havok with my sight reading (which is why I need to work harder at it):meh:

8. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    j/k...but I've done an awful lot of sidework in rock(metal),jazz,r&b,funk...I can rarely recall playing anything in other than 3(6)or 4...very few and far between.

9. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    It's just you...

:D

10. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    :p

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I find that playing in Odd time meters (such as 5/4) creates a sort of "Perpetual motion" type of feel with the music.

Also, odd time signatures can bring out lots of interesting melodic ideas since your have greater choice of accents of strong beats in the meter to use.

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's not just you. Not only do I play better in odd time signatures, but I also play and sing better in odd time. I've got a song I wrote that the verse section is tapped in 13/8, and I sing on top of that. Yet for some reason I can't even play "Message in a Bottle" and sing at the same time without killing the groove.

And no, I don't gig alot. I can't dance, either.

13. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    LOL!!! I cant do the "Message in a Bottle" thing either!!!!

Hey checked out your website!! COOL STUFF!!!!

Cheers!!

14. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Thanks Progzilla! We have a new album that will be released on our website soon. Possibly free!

15. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    COOL!!!!

Please keep me posted. Id like to snag a copy!!

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    What he said! I dig it.

17. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It will be a download only release. Hope you've got a fast connection.

18. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I've played in every imaginable time signature, including 2/1, 3/16, 14/8 and 7/32. have playing key signatures ranging from 7 sharps, to the key of F flat, which has a B double flat in the key. I don't think anything shakes me anymore.
    Of cource, those example were all on tuba, ralely do I ever play anything strange on bass, but I bet I could do it.

Mark

19. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Does'nt Creed have a song in 14/64?I digress...;)

20. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    That just spoke VOLUMES of info to me...

The best guitar player I ever met auditioned for one of my bands many years ago. Man, this guy was a shredder- he had all the moves, technique, and experiance to boot. We were talking while everyone else was "out on a break" and I was fishing for information from him as to what I could learn so I could shred like that on the bass (I was very young). He was like "take a song, any song and play it faster and faster as you go". I thought this was cool, so I started playing "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on the bass an sped it up gradually. He laughed and started to do the same thing: except, he could not FOR THE LIFE OF HIM play it in 4/4 time. I stopped him an asked that he try- he could not do it. He HIMSELF was amazed that he couldn't do it easily at 1st. After a few times trying, he gave up. We ended up hiring another player that could shell out more emotion with 1 note than this guy could in a song.

I think you *might* wanna try to get that 4/4 thing under control. It can't possibly hurt to bone up on it and it might prevent you from developing bad habits you can't break down the road. I started playing Iron Maiden thinking I was Steve Harris incarnate when I was just learning...the bad habits I had to suffer through to break took up ALOT of time. I'm not saying that it's what's going on with you, I'm just saying it can't hurt to look into it.

Hope this helps you out a bit...