Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IS IT JUST ME ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BONZOBASS, May 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BONZOBASS

BONZOBASS

May 7, 2003
    this is so off bass,(get it ?off bass?)this is not what i intended. i was'nt judging anyone nor attacking their style, things are way off
    SORRY:confused: i really was'nt trying to start trouble
    1000 pardons:(

2. On a more serious note, I think you're letting your intimidation get in the way of your appreciation of music, and create resentment.

Let the n-string exotic bass crowd do their thing; you do yours. You really need to re-evaluate what you're doing musically if you feel pressured to do anything.

3. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    I have an old Fender 2x10 amp thats from the mid 70's, I just had to clean it out and it sounds great, but yeah I find myself playing my 4 string jazz and p bass about 90% of the time on that thing, I love goin back to basics but sometimes I let loose and use all my new pedals and my 5 string for some new sounds. overall Im all about getting a great sound without much fuss and flashy gear.

4. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I mostly agree. I do understand the apeal of an exotic bass, though. I think people that are into exotic basses would be the same way with whatever they were into, if they weren't into bass. It's just kind of an apreciation of fine craftsmanship and materials. I personally will probably never buy one, but only because I still beleive that the majority of them don't sound any better than say, an 800.oo bass. I think once you get past that price point, it's just a matter of how you want it to look, the woods, and the preferred luthier who you want to support.

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I enjoy my P (or J) thru my Acoustic 220 just as much as my 'less traditional' options.
    I was not aware we had to commit to one extreme or the other.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd pay good money to see someone do my gig on a 4.

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i also think that it's a pretty ignorant assumption to make that everyone with a 7 string is trying to "one up" someone else. just because you base your self-image on the other musicians you see, don't tag other folks with that same hangup. :)

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Why worry about what other people want or need?

10. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    You definitely have to have an "it's all good" philosopy. There's players out there making good music on every variation of a bass guitar there is. All that said, I do enjoy a four string jazz and an old Acoustic amp, and more cutting-edge gear as well.

I probably read this quote here, my tip of the hat - or apology - to whoever it is

"If everyone bet on the same horse, there would be no horse race"

11. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    feeling that way is totally up to you.

i think this is distracting you from playing and enjoying life.

let goooooooooooooooooooooooo...breath in...PFFFFFFFFFFFT...breath out....PFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH...breath in...PFFFFFFFFFFFT...breath out....PFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH...breath in...PFFFFFFFFFFFT...breath out....PFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH...

there.

better?

ooops, 'scuze me, UPS just came with my new 9 string doubleneck, prechewed yak cud topped, Xeno bass.

pics and clips soon!

f

12. BONZOBASS

BONZOBASS

May 7, 2003
    easy big fella,i was not pointing any fingers i was just looking for some feedback,its not about self image for me because if it was i would go buy a LOOK AT ME NOW type bass IF thats what it was about,its obvious that its an issue for some by the guilt thwarted at others. i will not get into a pissing contest over some-one elses hang-ups. i have better things to do,i tried to make a general statement but of course some-one needs to be a martyr and rally the troops. have fun i'm NOT getting caught up in this non-sense:D

13. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    this,

then this,

shows a little denial about your own hangups. you can do whatever, feel whatever you want. but, when you go public, expect all types of responses.

i find it funny for you to AAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHH! in public, then tell others to calm down.

who started this thread?

;)

f

14. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    from these and other phrases, how can folks not take offense?
    I'd say you are getting feedback. Isn't that what you really wanted? Now you're not getting caught up in it? You started the thread!

Maybe a little more neutral phrasing would be in order?

15. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    you know what they say about deNILE.

oh well, i had a feeling this would breakdown. didn't think it would happen so quickly.

(as fred watches from the bleachers.)

f

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, bonzo, correct me if i'm wrong, but you talk in your original post about the reasons why people get 7 string basses from a position that sounded like experience. in your 1.5 years of playing, do you know anybody with a 7 string bass? have you ever even played one?

why do you feel so threatened by instruments different from what you play?

why do you assume that someone who is playing a bass with more than 4 strings is only interested in "flash and show"? have you ever seen anyone play a 7 string bass in a band context? how do you know that i, as a 7 string only player for the past 10 years, don't rely on my "chops", whatever that means? of course you don't know that, and yet that's what you said in your post.

you may not think you were "dissing" anybody, but you were. your assumptions and phrasing was very insulting to those who don't think like you. you basically accused everyone who doesn't play a 4 string of being a poser without even hearing them play. i hope that you don't mean that, but who knows? you wouldn't be the first one to have that attitude.

instead of assuming you know why people play extended range instruments, why don't you ask them?

another thing to think about - since you've only played bass for a year and a half, how do you know that your playing development won't take you to extended range instruments in the future? after only playing a year, you don't know where you're going to go, trust me. just because your drumming philosophy tended along simpler lines setup-wise, don't assume that that's where you're going to go on bass. shoot, it took me almost a decade to give up the 4 string, and now i haven't played a 4 for another decade.

17. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    to use your phrase:

we could count the words by each in this thread. per your own measure, i think you know the outcome and what it means.

(runs back up the bleachers).

f

18. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    what original post?
    nice back-pedal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.