Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Microbass, Jun 11, 2003.

1. The next exercise I have to do for a school lesson includes several bars of slaps & pops... Over the past few months, I;ve totally grown out of that technique.. Am I the only person that doesn't like to play it? I sure don't mind listenin' to it.. But man I really hate using it !

Your thoughts?
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    DuDE FiElDy OwnS t3H SlaPp P0P StYle!!1!!1111!!

I use them all the time... Just get make an engine that is easy for you, and work with that and it will all be much easier.
  3. i got a half decent technique (teacher feels the same! so he's no expert in this area), I can play it.. just gets boring fast.. :\
  4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I like to do it if it is musical. It is easy to "slap/pop" incredibly boring music, but the same goes for doesn't matter how you play it, if it's good music it will be interesting. Remember that how you play doesn't dictate what you play.
  5. no- I used to have to play "fly away" by Lenny Kravitz with my covers band- easy slap riff in the verse, - but they expected me to do a slap solo in the middle section- bleh.
  6. I don't do it much either, none of the music I play needs it, so I don't use it. I don't really enjoy playing it or listening to it much either - definetly not as much as fingerstyle or picked - but it has its place.

I practise it a bit, just to keep it in shape in case I ever need it, but it's probably the technique I focus least on.
  7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    It's a neat technique, but it never grabbed me... I do it only when I have to..
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have what could be called "NAMM chops", but I only slap about 10% of the time. I'd take a stacato fingerstyle over slapping anyday!
  9. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    I love the stuff, but tactfully never try to implement it into my band's music. I think you might be over the 'Flea' style of slapping (God, how simplistic it is by today's standards, hey?) Microbass, but all these wild new techniques employed by Wooty, Riendeau, Dickens, etc. are really something interesting. Melodic slap-foolery? Insane speed with minimal effort? Bro, I'm there. Don't give up on it yet, MB.
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm kind of bored with slap bass too.

Maybe because my fodera, is more set-up for fingerstyle playing, maybe because my amp sounds better with fingerstyle playing, maybe because I'm not very good at slap stuff :p

at anyrate, I'm growing tired of it.

Although I did play a Stu hamm signature bass, that slapped like a beast, and it was really fun, made using the technique fun again.
  11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I get puzzled everytime I hear someone say "slap is such a wank" or whatnot. Why can't the same be said about blazing fingerstyle? I just wonder why anyone would want to limit themselves...if you don't like it fine but to call it a wank? :confused:
  12. :meh: I haven't heard Ray Riendeau, but that ultra-fast double thumbing I've heard from Victor Wooten and Bill Dickens doesn't grab me at all- IMO it sounds like a worn-out car engine being revved, with a blown exhaust....
  13. I find myself using slap less and less. I learned the basic technique a while back, but like other people have said, it hasn't grabbed me in any major way, and most of the time it isn't appropriate for the music I play.
  14. BTW, I'm not writing off all slap playing- "forget-me-nots" is a classic line, it's just the whackata-whackata, and newer brrrrrrrrrrrrrr rapid-fire stuff (beloved of people trying out gear in the Bass Centre, it seems:rolleyes: ) that doesn't grab me.
  15. maybe it comes down to the tone of slap as opposed to fingerstyle or even pick playing.

but some people have the opposite view- that if you can't/don't play fast slap you aren't worth anything as a bassist.

one of the previous bassists in my covers band was known for fast slapping, and some people consider him to be the best player on the covers circuit.
    although our guitarist/bandleader now calls him the most out-of-time bass player ever:p
  16. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    I've heard a bit of your slapping on a recording (that Lenny Kravitz song with the bass break, think you mentioned it before) I got hold of a while back. Sounds like you were digging it, thumping the ol' 4-banga. Crowd was loving it too... now imagine the glory if your thumb didn't just bounce - it ROLLED! Come on, bro. You'd love to be able to pull a Wooten-fest every now and again, if only for the fact that the unitiated simply love the sh*t. I'm thinking that maybe you just can't work it out, and thus excuse yourself by telling me that it sounds of dysfunctional automobile ;)
  17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  18. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

It's obvious to me when people bash Wooten's "double thumb" as "whackity whackity" that they have not really heard him play. No offense or anything but that's not why he has gotten so popular or what he sounds like at all...Dicken's on the other hand ;)

The bottom line is if its MUSICAL then fine. No technique sounds good if used poorly, period (I don't think guitar center "slap crap" is considered good by most bassists right?).
  19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah. The buddha's stuff has never really struck me as anything more than whackity whacktiy whackity. Sure he is playing REALLY fast, but it doesn't sound good. At least in my opinion, some people like that stuff.
  20. My slap technique's just something I haven't got into yet, and don't practise anyway - I'm much more a pick and fingerstyle player!

I do hope to leanr to do it, and at least become competent with it so that I can pull it out of my 'bass toolbox' if and when needed. I think all styles make for a versatile bassist! The more you can do the more versatile you become - and I think it would be nice every once in a while to throw in a few bars of slap into a song....