Is it Karma?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tedintheshed, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    My band and I decided to go hit the music stores, looking prices on a set of DW 9000 pedals and hi-hat stand for my drummer. So, our next stop is Guitar Center.

Don't get me wrong- I've bought from GC before. Honestly,when I go most of the time I am in predatory mode. I can't help myself. I got a new MXR M-80 Bass DI+ for $85.00, new using these tactics.

So, I usually make it over to a wall display that they put most of their used effects in, but it was no longer there. I look around, and locate it it hanging off a support pillar.

Someone sold their pedal collection, and it was big time. There was an Original Dallas Arbitar Fuzz Face (that a BIG money pedal), several script MXR pedals An original Memory Man, and...

A Green Sovtek Big Muff Pi.

I asked the sales guy to remove it from the case. I said I wanted to check it for authenticity, so I took it apart right there on the counter, and checked the EIA Codes ( appears Russian Pots don't follow the EIA code standards, and now I know why there is no definitive date for these!!!). While doing so, the fellow commented that "It was a cool 70's muff".

No, it isn't, I said.

As you may know, I started a thread dedicated to these Muffs in an effort to get to the truth of some facts and to have a place where all the Muff info is centralized. I used this information, and gave the sales guy a history lesson about EHX and Sovtek.

Anyways, I walked out with it for $90.00.

No box, but it is in fair condition. It is a steel chasis/2nd logo version. It has a bit of missing paint, but it appear these are scratches. It works fine- very nice sounding fuzz! I was going to get a Keely Modded Rat, but I don't think I will now!

Now, all I have to do is decide if I'm going to have it modded.

TEXC! This needs a home on that pedal board bro!!! I have a special order 5 Loooper with this pedal in mind- the first chanel will have a blend pot so that I can blend a dry signal in with the Muff, if I want to.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Awesomeness. Pics are mandatory.
  3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    You've been getting some pics of peices in the SBM thread.

Right now, she's apart as I've took some pics and posted on the "Muff Experts" thread. I can give ya some ones of the guts.
  4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Okay- pics of the innards:

With circuit board attached and then unattached.
  5. sorry to derail. But how well does the looopers blend functions work?... I want one for my big muff+ bassballs
  6. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    No problem.

When I get it, I will let you know if by "how" you mean quality.

If you mean "how" as in how does it operate, it takes your clean signal and and with a pot allows you to blend in the effected loop's signal.

I have found this fuction desorable, as my best fuzz and distortion have it built in. I figured if I wanted to add a pedal without this fuction on my pedal board (such as a Muff or a Rat) then I will have that ability built in.
  7. i know wht it does. I was just wndering how well it does it. As ive heard onhere, and it even says it on the loooper site, that the blend control doesnt always work well with some pedals.

I'm runnin a big muff into a bassballs (distortion off) for a really cool synth fuzz. But i think it would sound even more awsome if i could blend in some clean signal. So if it works fine with your muff, i think i will bite the bullet and order one.