Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is it legal to take and change?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Jun 3, 2005.

1. would my band be breaking any laws if we took the 4 chords from a song, but just changed the strumming pattern even if it does kinda sound the same?

This is for a recording too....not just live.
    Chords cant be copyrighted can they?

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah thats legal. If chord progressions were copyrighted, every rock band in the world would be in jail.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Listen to Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4" and then listen to Green Day's "Brain Stew". It is the same exact chords, same or similar tempo, and same exact phrasing.

If Chicago couldn't do something about that, I'm sure however you are "borrowing" from can't do a damn thing about you altering their song.

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    if Em C G D were copyrighted, we'd have about 50% of the music we do now.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Geez, cops would be waiting all over the place listening for a 12-bar blues. Jail bait!

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Same goes for Papa Roach's last resort.

Yeah, don't worry about using 4 chords over and over again... Nickelback is making quite the career out of it.

7. sweet, thanks guys

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    And they stole it from Metallica...:)

9. yeah, but these are the same 4 chords, and it sounds quite similar to another song haha

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The only parts of a song that are copyrightable are the melody and lyrics. You can use the same meldoic phrase up to the end of the 7th bar, it becomes plagiarism on the first note of the 8th bar.

Chord progressions do not identify the song. There are any number of pieces of musci that share similar if not the same harmony, you can't tell which one I'm playing just by hearing the chords.

11. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England

what the f##k, i hate metallica they are greedy self obsesed a#s holes, how can u sue over two chords that doesnt make sense. theyll be laughed out of court.

im gonna make a song now with e and f and send it to them :mad:

12. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Chill out folks: It's a joke

14. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    oh :confused:

15. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    but behind the joke lies the blah blah woof woof.

stay away from Dm that's mine :smug:

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You'd better not mean Dm based off of a dorian, or Miles' Ghost will be after you for blood and money!

I'm kinda partial to the ol' F#mMA7.

17. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA