Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it luck?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Mar 5, 2001.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Another thread on an specific recording. My point is: Maybe you're in front of the hardest lick in the world, but if you know how it goes or have the feeling for figuring it out, the answer to the question of how to play it is simply: PRACTICE. But if you don't know or feel what is happening, you can't do anything. That's what happen with "Is it luck?" from "Sailing the seas of cheese" by Primus to me. Does anybody know how goes this lick? I put my ears on the recording to figure it out, but i can't get started. I'm not talking about the notes. I talk about the techniques involved in playing this. I thought that if i could figure out (and play) the riff from "Tommy the cat" by ear, same thing would happen with "Is it luck?", but i give up. Any info is appreciated. :)

2. Les plays this song with his whammy bar held down for most of it.. that's all I know about it.

I believe he talks about it in the first of the 3 Claypool interviews on http://www.bassplayer.com