1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it me have small finger or sitting down or up

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by wishforbass, Jul 28, 2017.

1. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    Check page two for new pic

Because I play academic bass guitar I should obey some rule that is general rule of playing bass in orchestra and in races have point .
    When I play bass sitting down I don't have any problem but when wanna play it standing up in high frets on b and a little on e string my worst weird bent I don't know if this bent is dnagrous or its slight but it's uncomfortable for my muscles .

Here some pic example.
    What do u think is it a bent that can make problem or its normal ?!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  2. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Wear a strap when you're sitting down and adjust it so the bass is in the same position it's in when you're standing.

3. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    When I play sitting down I use a weird style that bass neck come near me ,so the problem won't happen by putting the bass on left leg the problem start or standing up

4. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Do you have any full pictures that show the whole bass in relation to you sitting and standing?
    I feel it is how the bass hangs from you in relation to your plucking arm, rather than your fretting arm.

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Stop doing that.

Your bass should be in exactly the same place sitting or standing.

6. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You've seen professional musicians playing right? Do what they do. Your weird playing style is causing problems so why not change it.

Smelly and gebass6 like this.
  7. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Where is your bass sitting here?
    img_20170729_003154-.
    Is it resting between your thighs? There's a way to play like that but I don't think you're doing it correctly.

BornAgainBass likes this.
  8. The neck is longer on a bass than on a guitar. You need to rest the bout of the bass over your RIGHT LEG and straighten out your wrist to arm angle even if you need to shift your elbow further away from your body. Try to keep your arm in line with your wrist. When I first transitioned from guitar to bass I noticed that I would need to shift the bout further to my right to keep my straight and comfortable grip on the neck or I would need to bend my wrist like yours.

rwkeating and wishforbass like this.
  9. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    A good teacher can teach you safe and comfortable playing posture that won't cause injury. If you can't afford lessons then watch YouTube videos of pro players. I have never seen a master player hold the bass like you are holding it in those photos. Did someone teach you to play like that, or did you come up with it on your own?

10. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    Here some pic
    I put bass body out of my body so can access to neck eaiser .
    Recommended by teacher after he found my fingers are short

Attached Files:

11. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    Sit it on left leg ,
    Sitting it on left leg is exactly same with use it when standing up

gebass6 likes this.
  12. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    My friend, you're doing this all wrong. You're learning in school with a teacher right? You've mentioned a teacher before. Has he said anything about your playing position?

13. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Your elbow ... it doesn't need to be sticking to your body.

You can see in this vid that my arm isn't again my body.

14. Do you get sharp pains between your pinky and elbow? If you don't, change your technique immediately before you end up with ulnar tunnel problems. If you do have pain like that, see a doctor and change your technique.

15. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Your fingers don't look short to me. I think your hands are about the same size as mine. But it looks like you are stretching them painfully far apart! Try relaxing your hand and bringing your fingers closer together, almost touching. Then I bet you will be able to reach the E string no problem because your fingers will be relaxed and straight, instead of stretched out in a crazy diagonal direction. :)

16. Trump and I have small hands, that's a joke -- and yes we have to make adjustments, but, I think the problem lies with your non-use of a shoulder strap.

Put the strap around your neck and adjust the bass so everything moves over to your right, i.e. more into the middle of your body. Let the strap hold the bass for you. Same position sitting or standing. Higher up on your body is much better than lower.

I think you have been trained by someone that teaches classical guitar. Electric bass is another animal and is played differently. So get the bass into the middle of your body and I think most of your problems will go away.

This should help the fretting angle of your wrist. You have too much bend in it and carpal tunnel is going to start if you keep this up.

Fret with the pad of your finger, not the tip. Fretting with the pad area tends to deaden the lower not used strings and helps with fret buzz. Yes the guitar guys fret with their tips, but they strum and need each fretted string to ring true - you play notes of the chord one note at a time and that changes the way we fret.

You are playing individual notes one note at a time. Yes I do use the four fret four finger pattern, but, with the pad of my finger.

Gebass 6 -- on the next post is using his pads.

Get the bass into the middle of your body and most of your problems will go away.

Good luck...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    red_rhino and wishforbass like this.
  17. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    When I sit I also have the bass on my left leg.
    But I have it a bit lower AND I always use a strap.
    My bass is in the same place when I stand.
    Snapshot_20170728.JPG

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  18. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    You look about the same size as me, judging from that Yamaha you're playing. You look REALLY uncomfortable! A teacher told you to do this? If he's telling you to play like you're playing classical guitar, then you need a new teacher. For one thing, you don't need to obsess with always playing one-finger-per-fret. The scale of the bass in the lower register is simply too big for that (unless you've got really long fingers). Shift your hand around to get around the neck, don't try to play like your hand is a spider, a la fretting like classical guitar. And the way your elbow is jammed into your body you've got the bass way over to the side too much. Get a strap and put it on and play with the height and angle of the bass. The bass should just hang there, not be forced over to one side. Then sit down with it in that same position. In the pic with the band it looks a little better but still awkward. And try and sit up straighter - better posture will make it all easier and more ergonomic(and safer). I know I sound like a Mom, but we don't want you to hurt yourself!

WindyCityHawk likes this.
  19. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Professional musicians... that aren't like this guy:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRw6KRWxd6jE-tjOaCu6JbbCPkiDoCA9dF9xXxBdkRISeKzTIBJ.

20. DeltaTango

DeltaTango

Mar 22, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Clef_de_fa is correct. Tucking your elbow in to your body is limiting your range of motion. Look at his pictures, especially the bottom, right pic. Your shoulder should be relaxed with your arm and elbow held up and away from your body. You will reach your higher frets much more easily.

idoker, gebass6 and Nev375 like this.