Is it me, or am I the only one...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Aug 3, 2003.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Is it me, or am I the only one who likes nice, cheap, solid colored, normal shaped, bolt-on basses like Ibanez Soundgears?

Solid colors are nice, easy maintainence, etc., and the natural finishes, oils and stains just look a little to classy for me. Give me a nice solid white, black, or dark red, black hardware and I'm more than happy!

Normal shapes, come on! Singlecuts, especially on basses, in my opinion are just wrong! Maybe a Les-Paul shaped singlecut, but some of the Elricks and whatnot are not exactly my bag of tea.

Now everyone debates Bolt-on vs. Neck-through but I'm a bolt on guy, less sustain, I'm not playing jazz, so I don't need it!

Cheap instruments are great, they're practically disposable. My weapon of choice is a $400 Ibanez SR400, and if anything goes wrong, I'll just buy another, I'm not afraid to modify them...hell I just scalloped the top five frets on one of them! Drop in a pair of EMG's or Bart's or Duncan's and I'm set, and maybe even a nice bridge. At least this way, I can get used to the feel of one bass, while having tons of toys at my disposal!

I seem a bit out of place loving my cheap import bolt-ons in a world of Fenders, Warwicks and other odd guitars. Just my little opinion, I figure it's time to complain a bit :D, I've been in this wonderful place long enough!
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  3. I like the cheapys too. My main axe for the stage is a $130 Squier J. It ain't the best but I would have to think if I had a $3000 exotic super duper active whatever i wouldn't rip the strings off and throw it across the stage after most shows. Well really I probably would but would it still work and play? I don't think so-
  4. I liked cheapy too...right up until i played a expensivy. Then cheapy turned to crappy and frustrating.
  5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I hear ya' but I'm a guy who wants the best tool for the job. For me that seems to be a higher end bass than you described. That's just me. No knock on what you play. I'm a big fan of wood in general and fine craftmanship, too. It ultimately has to sound and play well, though. I just can't get that from an inexpensive piece. Best of luck

6. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I like exotic basses, but I do not like the look of wood, I prefer stained colored basses...and often solid colors. I think I may be somewhere in the middle.

7. Errr, whats odd about a Fender? I would think they'd fall into the cateory of basses you'd like.:confused:
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    IMO, cheap import bolt-ons=a world of Fenders.

Play what you love. :)
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
  10. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I have a few decent basses, Kubicki, Conklin GT-7, Jerzy Drozd Ecellency, GL-Fender Jazz, But I have been thinking about picking up something cheap to modify and expirement with.
  11. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I feel the same way. I personally love the sound and feel of an Ibanez. My most expensive bass right now is a BTB 405 that cost me $600. I don't feel any need to spend much more on a bass. I will save the big bucks for an amp setup.;)
  12. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    you just haven't felt "da schwartz" yet...once you do...:D
  13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  14. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I don't really go for cheap, but by the same token I have always maintained that you don't have to take out a loan to get a good instrument. Still, if you are going to play Doctor Frankenstein it's better to go cheap!
  15. Vercingetorix

Jul 5, 2003
    I'm a big fan of not paying much, but getting a bad ass bass. Which is why used=win.
  16. I'm a big fan of being more concerned with how a bass sounds and feels than how much it costs. If I can find the sound and feel that I like in a $300 bass (and I have).... GREAT!
  17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio

I agree, TB is turning me into a total gear whore.
  18. I understand you but dont feel exactly the same..

I personally, don't think I'd ever buy a fodera or ken smith If I had the money.. but I'm pretty sure that I would considerate buying an MTD or nice Warwick if I could.
    It's just different tastes..

I'd also prefer bolt on over neck through basses if that would save me more than $100.
    in the other hand, I prefer if a neck is made of multiple pieces.. I dont trust 1 piece necks so much.. and I think that necks with diferent woods, look very attractive.

I do like natural finishes.. and dyed finishes even more, but not solid.

for shapes.. i dont call anything abnormal unless it is badly balanced of unplayable. I like small, round edged, ergonomic bodies.

I dont think single cuts are wrong in any way.. they hcan add sustain and i like how they like.. and Elricks are much more well balanced than les paul basses.. that's for sure.
  19. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    I'm curious, for those of you who choose cheap basses. Are you able to play, try out, and purchase expensive basses but you choose to buy the cheap basses anyway?

i like expensive basses because they play and sound like expensive basses (well, most of them) :p
    but i also like the cheap basses that are great values at their respective price points.
  20. bazzhed4

Aug 2, 2003
    Aberdeen MD
    its all a matter of personal preference. ive had the cheep stuff...i have the mid to high end stuff now. i started on gibson ripper, then a yammy rbx260, a washburn xb5, an ibanez 5 string...(not a sdgr) but once i started in on the mid to high level basses i started noticing the difference in quality and sound. im currently using mm/sr's with a korean spector ns2000 neck thru as a backup.
    play what you feel dude. as long as you keep playing and keep it fun. this world has too many eddy van halens out there and not enough ppl to carry the low. bass players are a rare breed...who else would voluntarily carry the rythym...make the room shake...fill out the sound...and do more for a band then any other memeber....and then watch idly by as the girls rush the stage and knock you over on their way to attack the singer and guitar players.