Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it me, or are Bongos awesome?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by abngourmet, Jun 18, 2005.

1. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    Guys, I got to tell ya .. today, I picked up my Bongo HH 4 for the first time in a week .. it just plays so effortlessly. I can do things on it I can't do on other basses. It just plays so easily. Is it me? Set up? Strings? Have others had this experience?

Alan :confused:

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    And a few grand less than your others. ;)

3. JebusChrist

JebusChrist

May 23, 2005
    NYC
    a lot of people get put off because of it's strange looks, but it's a great bass

4. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Got some hands on time with one today, it is what it looks like, a Stingray x 2...

...you were expecting a toilet seat joke, weren't you? Well I think it looks awesome, it has the same unique charm as Rics.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    While I admit that I am still not sold totally on the looks, they have really grown on me.

With all the great reviews on them, I am really anxious to get somewhere to try one out.

6. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    I seriously want one....Shame its outside my price range :(

7. I played my first ever Bongo yesterday, 5 string. I was amazed at its tone range and overall playability, I now know why all you guys love them so much! G...G.... GAS

8. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    The Bongo is one of the most user-friendly basses I've ever played. I managed to demo one at *ahem* Guitar Center.

9. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I had to force myself last night to play something other than a Bongo. So the weapon of choice was a nice 62 RI Jazz...and I like it, it's a good bass, I've had it a long time and it isn't going anywhere.....

...but it's not a Bongo. Even my guitar player, who is not what you would call exactly sold on the Bongo look, says, "I love the way that Jazz looks....doesn't sound like the Bongo, though."

Nope, it doesn't.

Bongos are really great basses and at that price, you'd be hard-pressed to find anything better.

10. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I can't stand the way they look but man do they feel and sound nice. I was playing one in a local store recently and telling myself, "you know, as long as I don't look down ever..." :)

Those of you who are into the looks, you aren't crazy. You're lucky.

11. I tried a bongo at am ::ahem:: guitar central also. I was up in Rochester, a mear 2000 miles from home and was determined to try: Bongo, spector, warwick and top-end Fender. All 4 strings. The Bongo mopped up the floor with all of the other candidates. It had the 2HH w/ 4 band EQ with Piezo... a sweet combo! It played awesomely and left me drooling. Some day...

So, yes, Bongo's look a bit silly but DAMN they play nice.

12. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Good choice, Alan. I knew you'd hop on the bandwagon. :)

13. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I loved the Bongo I sold but my SR5 was doin it for me. I'm really interested in trying a single pickup Bongo5 as long as the pickup placement is the same as the SR5 and preferably a model with a Piezo.

14. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think they look better live rather than in pix. I can't stand the name "bongo" though. I tried a couple and they are amazing. Very comfortable. I would like to see trans colored ones with different woods. I often wonder if the looks will stand the test of time or become real corny looking after awhile. But I think since it is such an extraordinary bass it will become a staple.

15. i like them, specially their name bONGO.. :smug: ;)

16. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Now that I'm a proud and happy Bongo owner and still stunned with this amazing instrument, my question is: Putting aside multi-stringed basses, exotic woods/finishes/details and budget, why own other than a Bongo?? I don't have enough comparison points (yet), but I dare to say that this is the BEST production bass ever. And nothing can beat that price/quality relationship IMO. I've never disliked its looks, but one thing's for sure: It looks even better in person than in the pictures. That's why I'm wondering how does a rolls burgundy Bongo look, because that color is the worst to me in the pictures, but maybe (for sure) it looks great live. Nobody has told me yet that my Bongo is ugly or something like that. Maybe it's hard to find a so-frank person here, but everybody has enthusiastic words, astounded faces, whatever when I take my Bongo out of the gig bag. That's not precisely a disapproval sign.

I feel I'm becoming a Bongo freak and I'm seriously thinking about seizing Bovinehost's throne :D, health and money permitting, of course (don't worry, Jack. If it happens, it will take a loooooong time). Until last week I was (and still am) thinking about getting a desert gold fretless 5-string with black pearloid pickguard. Today I've added an egyptian smoke 5-string fretted and a teal pearl 5-string fretless (haven't thought about the pickguards yet), both tuned EADGC, all with HHP pickups. That makes four Bongos. I'm so in love with the "Fritz-the-Katt Lime Green" color. It's a shame that it's an special run and cannot be considered as an option (I think). The stealth Bongo would be another one to die for if it had an ebony fingerboard. I think rosewood destroys the "stealth" idea.

Just the random thoughts of another happy EBMM customer. :) :bassist: :hyper:

P.S.: Wait... four Bongos... Bovinehost has five, right? Hmm... I have to do something about it... :D

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My old pal Dave LaRue was heavily involved in the R&D of the Bongo, and it definitely reflects his involvement. When I look at it, I get the vague feeling that it was designed from a toilet seat, but there's no denying it's a great playing and sounding bass. The neck is rosewood because that's what Dave likes, and it's a lot less expensive than ebony.

As for why anyone would buy anything else besides a Bongo, well, some people don't like the MM sound, some people don't like the toilet seat look, some people just want something else. As for myself, I would gladly take one for free if I could get it, but I have enough electric basses that I'm satisfied with, and from here on out I'm only buying uprights.

18. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    1. BMW designed the artistic shape of the Bongo.
    2. The neck is still maple, the fingerboard is Rosewood. Rosewood was chosen because it looked the best(they made a prototype mable fb bongo) and worked better with the ebmm truss rod style. They also used ebony in early protos but had problems with the wood cracking and getting too dry. I don't think the expense of ebony had anything to do with it.
    3. Thanks for bringing up the whole toilet seat thing again it's a hoot. :scowl: Maybe next time you can go the next step by posting a picture of bongo drums.

Andrew

19. i love zee bongos!

i am determined to get one now, since my guitar player said " I can't imagine you playing out with that, though. Doesn't seem it'd suit you." Popeecock! ;)

20. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Terrible name, ugly bass.

It could even be the best thing since sliced bread and pert-nippled groupies, but if it totally puts people off that badly, was it really a good move? Why don't they make a great bass that ISN'T fugly, and stupidly named?

Hey, now there's an idea, huh?

:bag: