Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it me, or... (Digitech inside)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Basstyra, May 5, 2005.

1. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Hello, I would like to know your position about that...

I have been testing and hearing a lot of pedals for about 6 months now, and when it comes to Digitech I allways have the same feeling. I can not believe this pedals are just crap, so I really tried...

But no, on the website is a lot of soundclips, and they ALL sound like s*** to my ears. All the Bass X series, and a lot of the guitar X series (all those I listened to).

Tiny crappy sound, functions I really don't see the point of, except maybe as a toy. Listen to the Bass synth "Yaaa", or the Hyper Phase "triggered Phase".

So, is it me, I just don't like thoses pedals, or some people agree with me ? I know there is a lot of Bass synth users here.

2. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
  3. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Its you.

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    +1

The bass synth is wicked

5. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    I don't tell only about the bass synth. As there is a lot of users here, I suppose it's a good pedal. I should test it again.

But besides ? What about the others pedals ?

I add that I just bought a Bass Whammy, and it's great. I'm just not convinced by all the X series pedals.

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I've not really tried loads of the digitechs I'm inclined to think the distortion sucks, but as pedals go they are cheap, well built and sound good on and off.

The BSW is a very cool pedal not the best but still very very cool.

Lots of people have found the compressor to be amazing.

Hope this helps

7. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I have the bass compressor and the bass synth. Both are excellent pedals (besides the fact that they don't work well with less-than-full batteries). They feel very solid; not cheap at all. I use the BSW mainly for octave, but it's fun to just mess around with the other settings. The BS compressor is always on when I play. :bassist:

8. Nazman

Nazman

Mar 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    I recently got the bp200 ..I was ready to smash it the first few days..But then I sat down and got a some patches working that sound good. I played my first gig with it last weekend..someone commented afterward that the bass had more punch

9. I've been using a BNX3 for 2 years now & the effects I use sound great.

10. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I have the Bass Squeeze Compressor, The Bass Synth Wah and the DigiDelay. All pedals give very usable sounds. The dual bands on the compressor allow you to highlight your lows or your highs. The delay pedal is at least as good as the comparable Boss and the possibilities with the Synth Wah are almost endless. Don't even think about using these pedals on battery power, however!

11. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i owned teh bass synth wah for a while. i mostly used it as an octaver, the wah sounds were decent, but synth was really hard to find something usable, but the few times i did find something, it was pretty good stuff, but you really have to find that magic combination of settings (which i conveniently dont have on me)

i have always wanted to try the hyperphase and turbo flanger but havent been able to, the sound clips sound alright through my speakers. i think it depends on what you put them through too, because tube preamps tend to soften up the harsh digital sound of digital pedals, which i like, because i only use effects rarely and when i do, i want them to be obvious.

what i really liked was how they're built very strong. everything plugged in really securely, even teh power adaptor.

12. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    I own all the Bass X pedals (Bass Driver, Synth Wah, Multi Chorus, Bass Squeeze) and they all sound really good. Obviously you can always buy something better, but I got all these, plus a DigiDelay for around $250.... not bad at all. I started trying to use the Synth Wah for envelope sounds, but ended up switching to a Q-Tron, as the Digi didn't go over the edge enough for me. I now use it as an octaver. Tha bass Driver is a pretty good distortion... I've found several settings that work for me. The Multi Chorus went head-to-head with a Danelectro Cool Cat (18v) and it won out, if only for the fact that it has a level control and the Dano doesn't. I used the Squeeze almost all the time when I first got it, but put it away until recently. It seemed to kill my signal (from a SR5) when I played too hard, but I tweeked it and now all my pedal levels are more consistent with each other. I used the DigiDelay until I got a DL4.... no real explanation needed there... right? So all in all, I think these pedals seem to get a bad rap, but they are all pretty nice, and take up a good deal of real estate on MY pedal board.

13. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK

Great, just what I wanna see the day I'm told my BSW has arrived :rollno: . Well, I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and prove you wrong. :bassist:

14. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I sold my DigiDelay to my guitarist and he loves the stereo output. I also think most of the sounds are pretty bad quality but just because I can't find a use for a sound doesn't mean someone else can't.

-Eric.

15. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    That's right.

Bass_Machine, don't worry, I'm sure it will be a great pedal for you ! ;)

16. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    like most others here, i love my BSW. i've heard good things about the digiverb and hope to try it out soon.

17. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    As long as the sound is decent enough I'm cool. You can expect some sorta review in a week or two when I've played with it and got a chance to observe. I played it in the shop for ages and I must say, I was extremely impressed with it's overall sound. Plus, the price is right :p

18. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I've owned a Bass Drive and the Bass Synth-Wah. They worked with passive basses, but with active basses I got unwanted distortion, especially on the b-string. The only solution was to sell those pedals, and get a Fulltone bassdrive and Boss SYB-5 :p

19. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The cheap-as-hell Bass Synth Wah is great value for money, and it's capable of things subtler than the whacked-out "Ya" or "Aii" effects. Only problem is it eats batteries.

There's a lot of adjustment available in the X-series pedals in general. That's the point, though; they're supposed to do a lot of different things. A lot of the sounds aren't going to be of much use to the average player.

20. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I have a Hyper Phase and a Bass Multi Chorus. I like both of them a lot but I don't use the Hyper Phase much since I picked up my Boss PH-3. The chorus is fantastic, however. I also used to own the Bass Squeeze but I sold it because the compressor in my amp sounded much more natural. I had a Bass Driver as well, and traded it for Boss ODB-3. There isn't much bad to say about these pedals. They do what they are supposed to do and don't cost a lot. Some of the tones they generate aren't very useful but that is true of many pedals out there. The only way to know for sure is to give them a shot.