1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is it me or does Bass sound better when it's raining or cloudy weather?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by de la mocha, Oct 4, 2010.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I've noticed this for a while but never said anything. It seems if i'm playing music in the car on a cloudy day or when it's raining, or even if I'm playing my precision on my practice amp at home when it's rainy or cloudy outside, the bass sounds thicker, or has more presence.

Playing on sunday, yesterday at church the bass settings was the same and so was the volume that I always play, but the bass was rattling my brain, it was so thick and so present.
    It was raining off and on yesterday too.

Am I crazy or does this have something to do with the atmosphere when it rains or the air. By the way, I'm not a smart guy so I won't be mad if you say i'm crazy. :bag:

2. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    The humidity might affect the wood. The only thing I notice with my bass is that it feels all moist on a rainy day when I pick it up

3. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    I think you might be crazy. ;)

I've never experienced this, but if it really is some weird phenomenon I'd be willing to entertain it!

4. i live in glasgow where we get one sunny day a year

the rest is rain or snow so i dont notice a diffrence

5. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY

I noticed that too, but nothing about the sound?

6. The humidity in the air on a rainy day may take some of the "sparkle" out of the strings. Just a guess. If you prefer that thicker sound, I suggest you try a set of quality flatwound strings, such as Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats. Put them on, play for a few days to settle them in, and you'll start to hear a gorgeous thick sound, but still with plenty of mid-range definition.

7. Humid air transmits heat better. Also transmits sound better than dry air. I never thought about it before, but I would not have thought one might hear the difference. Time for a science experiment....

8. I thought I was the only one!:hyper:

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

While what you say is generally true, on a rainy day, the air tends to be saturated with humidity, to the point of bordering 100%. If it goes over 100%, droplets of liquid water will condensate in the air and dampen sounds instead of propagating them better.
    The extreme example of this phenomenon would be fog.

10. seismic

seismic

Sep 27, 2010
    10 feet from Hell
    If one lives in a constantly humid or damp climate, one would not notice it. The difference is most apparent in a climate that is dry and undergoes occasional bouts of humidity or downpours.

Sound also travels better at night because atmospheric heating is not a factor and the humidity usually rises. Wind is also usually reduced.

In the Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico deserts it is markedly noticeable.

11. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    i just thought it was my moodiness. :ninja:

12. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Barometric Pressure of the upper atmosphere and it's direct correlation on your cerebral cortex can cause signifcant increase in low frequency response in respect to your inner ear and it's effect on surrounding ambience.
    Now that's science.

13. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    yeah . . . . whut he said ! ^^^^^^^^^

:bag:

14. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    maybe I'll design a "Rainy-Day Simulation Pre-amp" and sell to all those poor suckers living in beautiful warm, dry, and sunny climates.:smug:

15. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Drugs are bad Mkay?...

16. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I always thought high frequency sounds were crisper in low humidity cool air, and muddier is high humidity warm air.
    Maybe low frequency sounds are less affected by atmospheric humidity, therefore seem relatively louder than the highs.
    Perhaps that's why they use low frequencies for fog horns.

17. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    Barometric pressure isn't battling the bass as it tries to move lots of air from the amp, as well as the strings moving. Rain is a low, and dry weather is high. With less pressure, the bass should sound thicker and louder.

18. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Ever notice how phat the organ is on Hendrix's Rainy Day?

19. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    The humidity may affect your hearing as well.

20. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I think it just "cheers you up more" when the weather stinks!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021